I Don't Understand This Siri Thing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kkachurak, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kkachurak macrumors regular

First of all, it's incredibly annoying that activating Siri using the headphones, while the phone is in my pocket, lights up the screen and allows input.

I can't tell you how many times Siri has canceled itself because my phone is brushing up against my leg. Is that supposed to happen?

Do you have to ask Siri to read you new messages every time? Why can't you have it read not new messages?

And what is the point of getting visual information as feedback if the phone is in my pocket? The commercials make it seem like it will tell you the weather... not just show you a visual indicator.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's beta sotfware. I am sure we will get much more functionality out of it as time goes on. It is unfortunate that Apple didn't really showcase it as beta software, but rather a new cool and amazing feature on their newest hasndet.

3. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

I realize it's "beta". I've encountered many an error, bug, and the occasional thing it can't understand.

But the way its advertised vs. what it can actually do in practice are so drastically different it seems.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you using headphones that have a microphone on them? It works correctly for me. My screen doesn't turn on and it takes input from my headphone's microphone.

5. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - using the headphones that came in the box. The screen lights up for everything and then doesn't turn off unless I remember to tap the button once to kill Siri. Then auto lock kicks in about 20 seconds later.

6. netslacker macrumors 6502

I actually find this quite convenient as I can have Siri send a new message but then just tap "confirm" when she's ready to send it (rather than waiting for her to ask me).

It takes input while in your pocket? I've never had that before for sure since the input on the screen has to be from skin or something that can reproduce touch. What kind of pants you wearin' ? (or maybe I shouldn't ask....). If this is a real problem then put it in your pocket facing outwards.

You mean, why doesn't it just read me new messages? Probably because that behavior would be uber annoying. It doesn't read old messages, no, I kinda wish it did too "Siri, read me my old messages" but then in my case it would have like 4000 messages to start reading me, so I guess it's ok that it doesn't. I'd like to be able to say "read me my last 5 messages" or "read me my last two messages from my wife".. maybe it's coming in an update...

The phone doesn't know it's in your pocket. What if you're holding it in your hand? besides, a LOT of the queries produce on screen results so for those you'd have to be looking at something.

As for the weather query, it does both. If you ask if it will rain today it will pull up the weather app AND answer your question. Did you even try that one?