I don't understand why my battery life is so poor.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by duelingdragons, Apr 29, 2015.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

38MM SS... I put my watch on at 7:30 AM, and tonight, at 7:30 PM, it flat out died on me. I honestly don't use the watch that much during the day at work, and when I do its literally just to look down at the time.

Am I doing something wrong in terms of a setting or something?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Odd, I take mine off the charger at 6:30am and around 11:00PM I have at least 20% battery left.

3. Husher315 macrumors member

Haven't had that issue yet. Put mine on at 7:30 am this morning, it's 11:53, and I'm still at 40%. That's after making a receiving a couple of calls, and general usage.

4. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

The battery on my watch is great. What is now draining quickly is my iPhone 6. Can't figure that out.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm having no issues so far. And if yours didn't even make it into reserve mode then I would say there is a defect with yours.

I took mine off the charger at 6:00am and at when I took it off that night at 10:30pm I had 37% left. Also haven't noticed any change in my 6 Plus battery life.

6. northofnowhere macrumors member

Could easily be a defect. I just sent mine back to Apple yesterday for a replacement. My battery life was horrible, only about 2-3 hours on a full charge.

7. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I got mine new Apple Watch at 1PM today. I just place it to charge at 9PM (for the first time ever.) I have been non stop playing with settings, installing things, maps, photos, etc. Out of the box was at around 65% and now it is at 30%. All notifications on such as Whatsapp, IMessage, Line, weChat, etc. All with sound and taptic (or whatever they call it.) I think it did pretty well for my first day.

8. MCA11 macrumors newbie

I've read a small amount of them aren't performing up to par. Either they reset and reload everything from the iPhone back up and that fixes it or it has to be sent (brought if you are lucky and a nearby store has your model in support stock) to Apple.

9. cwosigns, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

cwosigns macrumors 65816

Reset your watch by holding both the digital crown and side button until the watch powers off and restarts.

If that doesn't help, reset your watch and set it up as new.

If THAT doesn't help, take it to an Apple Store. Mine had some quirks when I unboxed it and this has cured it. It's been fine since Friday.

10. badNameErr macrumors regular

I found putting the brightness to maximum wipes about 15% off the battery life.
    Check that.

11. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Battery life on mine has been all over the map (in the scant few days I've had it). Yesterday it went into power reserve mode after about 15 hours, and I was not using it heavily (I barely use any apps on it and I've got very few apps set to do notifications). Today, I took it off the charger 14+ hours ago and I'm at 59% battery life right now, with similar usage. No idea at all but hoping today will be more the norm.

12. northofnowhere macrumors member

There is no option to take it in to an Apple Store. I talked with Apple several times before I shipped mine out. Apple has NO stock in stores for warranty replacements. Any watch with a suspected defect is being sent to the repair depot so Apple can "capture" them to figure out what the problems are.

13. gburnham macrumors newbie

I myself have made this typo a few times already and it is my favorite typo.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

It's a first gen product and yes battery life is so bad that Apple ditched watch faces that light up too many pixels... It is what it is. Expect the watch two to be significantly better in that department.

15. Laowai184 macrumors newbie

Laowai184

My black sport had a similar problem a couple of days after I got it; the battery was going down by 1% every 5 minutes. My gf has the same watch and side by side, we compared power usage during the day. When hers was at 86% (she used it quite a lot) mine was at 55% with almost no use.

To solve the problem, I reset the watch and set it up as a new device. Now our batteries are almost identical. Maybe you can try that?

16. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Oh wow...clown. :)

17. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I would try setting up as a new Watch again and see what happens then.

The battery on my watch is great. It was on my wrist at 5:30am, did an hour workout, made a few phone calls on the watch, read emails, texts etc and it was off my wrist at 11:30pm and I was at 42% battery.

18. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

How do you setup as new and would you lose any of your fitness data for the day? Thinking about trying this to improve my battery life some.

19. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

If you set the watch up as a new watch you lose all of the data on your watch (it's like you have a brand new watch).

You unpair the watch (from the Apple Watch App on your iPhone) and then pair the watch again (just like you did the first time). You will be given an option to restore from backup or setup as a new watch.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I had to unpair and the re-pair my watch for another reason and my battery life is great.

20. Eddie1984 macrumors newbie

I went to bed last night with 50% left and woke up with 46%. My battery life has been so good on the watch, though my phone I think is draining noticeably faster.

21. cai4651 macrumors newbie

It's easy. Why you would put a better battery in this gen if you could release gen 2 watch with better battery life and sell it :p

i was reading that the lg watch has double the battery capacity of the Apple Watch. And we know that in R&D Apple is one of the best. They could put something better , i think.

My 2 cents.

22. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

What? No battery life is not bad. It's great, in fact. I have had mine almost a week and use it every day for the typical things ... even listening to music for a couple hours. It is on for 17 hours a day and it is always about 40-70% full by the end of the day. To charge it up to 100 takes just a few minutes.

To the OP ... it sounds like something is wrong with your watch ... the performance you are getting is not typical.

23. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Didn't read entire thread but 42MM gets better battery life,

24. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

This entirely.

My second day with the watch I took it off charge at 8am and it died on me by 6:30pm. All I did was a soft reset on my watch (and phone just in case) now I get to 11pm with 50% battery left.

25. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

will i lose my data from the activity app? i really dont want to lose my workouts i have done so far when ive only had the watch a few days.