Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I do. :)

Have been considering replacing my 2007 iMac with an new machine for some time now. Retina and my order will be placed by Monday evening.

Last edited:

leadfeather89

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Do pictures not look flush and smooth on iMacs and Apple Laptops without the retina display?

I guess my perspective is narrow since I don't do any editing.. but..

I can see the difference like an inch away from my screen, but from a foot, it looks the same.

so much hype..

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Because they just want the latest and greatest, never mind that you won't be able to tell the difference on a 27" display compared to the current model. I won't pay extra money for it.

New Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
Kristinestad
i guess it's a mix of reasons

there is people using CURRENT apple products with a resolution of
1440 by 900 , there is a little group of people who might need it for eyes-graphics reasons (someone will reply), there is a lot more looking for the greatest possible

Apple knows that putting Retina on an iMac 2011 27'' is just cool than a real need (like for example an SSD, needed)
if i had a macbookpro, i would 'almost' require it
with a new iMac 27 i am fine as it is (more than hd)

leadfeather89

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Because they just want the latest and greatest, never mind that you won't be able to tell the difference on a 27" display compared to the current model. I won't pay extra money for it.

If the new iMacs come with retina display without a price increase, that's wonderful. I am totally all for it (I'll forget it's retina display after about 5 seconds).

If the new iMacs come without retina display without a price increase, that's wonderful. I am totally all for it (I won't be butthurt that it's not retina display).

----------

putting Retina on an iMac 2011 27'' is just cool than a real need
This.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
retina display on small monitors I dont understand. If I could get a 32" iMac with retina display (or larger), then that´s one step further to my dream machine. It would be a huge display right in front of my eyes, and even if I would only use a small part of the screen for a program such photoshop it would still be sharp and big enough - that´s one step closer to a minority report computer, were you have a large display in front of your eyes and you can just shuffle things around as you please and have multiple stuff running at once. ....that would a perfect iMac :)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
retina display on small monitors I dont understand. If I could get a 32" iMac with retina display (or larger), then that´s one step further to my dream machine. It would be a huge display right in front of my eyes, and even if I would only use a small part of the screen for a program such photoshop it would still be sharp and big enough - that´s one step closer to a minority report computer, were you have a large display in front of your eyes and you can just shuffle things around as you please and have multiple stuff running at once. ....that would a perfect iMac :)

The typical viewing distance for a 32" screen would be... (calculating...) 48" away. At that distance for this screen, I believe 1080p is Retina.

Now if you enjoy looking at only part of a screen at a time, well, I can't help you there. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.