I don't use a single App from the store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmstrong, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

With the constant always on 3G or WiFi I just go directly to the site, or the news, sports, weather, etc..

I just don't get it. Who's App hungry? What am I missing?

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

3. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree that you're missing a lot. I believe you cam optimize and organize quite a bit using apps. There are real decent ones out there.

5. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

Yes your are like they say there's an app for anything well almost anything still can't find that app that makes my bed and packs my lunch:D

Jessica the fair is in town how bout I toss one of those ping pong balls an win you a gold fish

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There are so many good free ones that do things you can't do by just surfing (snaptell, shazam, etc.). You're missing the whole experience.

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Convenience? I like the way some apps, i.e news and sports are rendered via the app rather than the browser. There are utilities for just about anything, some are just awful but some are well done. You don't play games?

8. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Those who understand need no explantion, for those who do not understand there is no explanation!

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Single purpose app for a single purpose use often gives you a better experience than going to the web page.

Try Wall Street Journal, The New York Times. There a apps that combine multiple news sources. There are better weather apps. There's the ATT app, there are online banking apps from Chase, Bank Of America, etc. There are better utilities. There are password keepers, Dictionaries, Subway maps for around the world. The list goes on.

10. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

+1, exactly...

Your really out of the loop as far as tech is concerned.... there are a lot of utilities that safari cannot provide. Wireless disk capabilities (air-share pro), wireless mouse/keyboard (iTap), photo editor (photogene), all-in-one utility (app-box pro), wireless photo syncing (photo-to-mac), pandora, and many others...not to mention a PLETHORA of games to suit ANY need. 75,000 apps and growing, and you're not tapping into them because of, what now? Seriously though, go browse the app store by category sometime soon ;)

11. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

no.....

apps like sportacular, nowplaying, xFeed (rss), are infinitely more useful than just using safari.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Plus, you don't always have an Internet connection.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'd rather have some apps on my phone versus having to access them on the internet just for this reason.

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

When exactly does this happen?

15. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Vacations to foreign countries, concrete buildings, hospitals, underground, etc.

16. SqB macrumors 6502

This

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

City living my friend, city living, where people wear shoes:D

18. Kguy macrumors newbie

I thought it's just me. I once addicted to apps but got bored of them quick. I know there are good apps that make my life easier. Anyway it's a phone after all...

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

a few of my favorite apps:
    stanza (ebook reader)
    ixpenseit (budget manager)
    pace (running log)
    beejive (IM client)
    air sharing (file storage)
    hippo remote (control your mac)
    3D games

Now please show me the websites that duplicate the functionality for those apps.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Good for you

if you don't see the value in any Apps in the store well that's great. kind of like the people that post my Iphone gone naked there happy your happy, great! I am happy with my Apps and my Case that's what makes things great freedom. :D enjoy!

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

anytime I'm outside of wifi, the ipod touch is a HUGE segment of the appstore market

22. iVoid macrumors 65816

I understand the distaste for the apps that are little more than repackaged frontends for stuff already available in Safari on the web. I have few, if any, of these (such as BOA App, mostly since it works slightly better than the mobile web app IMHO).
    So I stay away from these web repackages, especially since some actually try to charge for stuff that's free on the web via Safari.

But there are apps that really don't have web equivalents. Those are still worth looking for and getting. It is a bit hard to sort through the 90% of crappy apps to find them, though.

Games, of course. And things that keep everything local so can be used when there's no wireless connection (yes, these places do exist in the world :) ).

23. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Then you are obviously in no need of a "smart phone" I need my phone to keep me connected to my emails and work environment at all times through VPN and so forth. As far as apps certain must have apps for me are apps that provide RDP and VNC connectivity. There are many others that I use to make certain things easier but I mostly like the games that are available. To tell you the truth I actually prefer a Windows Mobile phone for business use but enjoy the games that are available for the iPhone so I have opted for sticking around with the iPhone since I have been able to mitigate some of the missing items from a real business phone through jailbreaking.

24. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

You're basically missing the point of owning an iPhone. There is something for everybody. If you just want watered-down crappy Internet in your pocket, may I suggest a BlackBerry?

Oh, and it's also got this awesome feature where the exclusive "scroll-ball" stops scrolling, making the phone about as useful as sneakers at the beach.

C'mon man, browse the app store, I'm sure there's something for you - even if it's just a boring to-do app. Enjoy the greatest phone ever. Make it work for YOU.

25. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You don't know what you've got, till its gone. But you also don't know what your missing till it arrives!