I don't want 4K, give me more stable video.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Smartphones have such a specific shake to them when filming, you can always easily tell a footage was filmed by a smartphone when it's shaking all over the place.

Not even cheap P&S cameras have a shake like that.

Here's an example, a very nice video, ruined by shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AgfbJUk9A

I wish Apple and other manufacturers concentrated on video stabilization. Who needs a 4K video quality when it's terribly filmed?

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I think video stabilization would be great along with a great low-light camera and much clearer picture-i don't think screens on phones will be 4k for several years-I can see them already making 2k tablets and some crazy expensive 4ktablets but i don't see them making 4k phones-maybe a 2k but that would be expensive.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think 4K is ridiculous for a phone. How can you realitically display 4K on a screen that is phone size? I'd much prefer stable video and photos.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

iPhone is a very light device .... The problem here is the operator, not the device. Hand shaking with such a light device is common.
    Optical stabilization could help

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Hopefully they'll find a solution, smartphones already produce a VERY good video quality, the problem is shaking and stability of framerate.

6. cynics macrumors G3

What does this mean?

Are you planning on shooting 4K video on a 60" 4K television?

All digital photography and video cameras have small screens to display what they have captured. THEN you transfer the video to a screen that can properly display the image or video.

We exceeded the display of an iPhone a long time ago. Ahem 1080.....

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Didn't they add some sort of stabilization in iPhone 5S and/or iOS 7?

That, plus aren't there various apps for that kind of thing too?

8. cynics macrumors G3

When I record videos I'm surprised how stable they are. There is some form of stabilization built into the camera or iOS.

I was a actually recording a clip from my TV off hand earlier for a group message and it's perfectly stable. I doubt I could have been holding it as stable as the video was.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You don't need a 4k phone screen to enjoy a 4k camera. You can zoom in really really far with a 4k camera that's why hockey and football games and stuff like that is recorded in 4k. They have the cameras way back from the field/ ice behind all the people but zoom in and it's just like being on the field/ ice. I would like 4k video before more stable video.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

In typical use by a typical user how many would need to do any kind of zooming that's even close to that, compared to how many would benefit from more/better image stabilization?

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't know but I still want the 4k camera more.

12. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

Those cameras also have top end optical image stabilization. Go ahead and try recording video in 4K and zoom in on a cell phone like the Galaxy Note 3 which has 4K video recording. I can almost guarantee you that it's unwatchable due to the severe shaking.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Again, the iPhone has digital video stabilization. If you want even more then download another app (Luma), quality will be further reduced.

Smartphones are limited in terms of video stabilization (serious are we expecting hardware stabilization like a Hollywood film crew?). Plus they are difficult to hold steady due to weight (lack thereof) and ergonomics.

A good operator can make a good video with a iPhone. Don't expect a the results of a $100k shoulder mounted steady cam. :)

14. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

I think the exact same thing! I tried voicing my opinion on the matter and got bitched at.

15. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Apple's lack of freedom within its OS might mean 4K is bad for the iphone if you are unable to turn the video down to 1080p. I've got a note 3 and those 4K vids use up a hell of a lot of memory.

Apple at the very least, like the note 3, could let you record 1080p videos at 60fps and it will definitely have the grunt to do so.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's going to be an inherent issue with a low mass product like smartphones. Compromises always have to be made and it's no different with IS. If you want better IS than what is currently available it's going to mean more processing (poor image quality, more power consumption, etc) and/or more bulk (for optical stabilization).

Who assumes that they're mutually exclusive?

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I agree. I want to see better video stabilization