Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomthumb17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
England
Hi everyone,

I’m currently on an iPhone 11 and have had it in a case since the day I got it. I’m going to upgrade to a 15 Pro Max and I’m quite keen to try it without a case one, however I often use my phone when it’s laid on my desk and type using the swipe gestures on the keyboard but more importantly, whenever the phone is just laid on a flat surface it doesn’t lay flat which I know will result in my laying the phone on the screen so that it does lay flat. But I really don’t want to do that as I don’t want to laying the screen directly on to surfaces. So by having no case it’s not going to lay flat on its back and the wobble will seriously grip my sh*t.

I was thinking about whether I could just get 4 little round rubber pads (a bit like you see on the inside of kitchen cupboard doors and drawers) so that I don’t have a case but with one of them in each corner they’ll act like little legs for when it’s laying flat.

Any ideas? I potentially like the idea of a ‘skin’ too, so I use the phone in its intended form factor (but would still need some ‘legs’ for it….it’s just the camera bump that winds me up (I honestly think that sometimes I’d rather the whole phone was as thick as the camera bump to make it flat…and think of the size of the battery they could fit in that!).

Thank you!!!

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I was thinking about whether I could just get 4 little round rubber pads (a bit like you see on the inside of kitchen cupboard doors and drawers) so that I don’t have a case but with one of them in each corner they’ll act like little legs for when it’s laying flat.
They'll just slide and eventually come off after taking your phone in and out of your pocket/bag/whatever a few times. The Pro Max is big enough and heavy enough not to wobble when placed on its back without a case. The camera bump is a very stable base.

Reactions: tomthumb17

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
A case is probably the only easy solution to your camera bump issue, one that I can relate to.

I hate the camera bumps, I miss the days what the flat back.

I have been using iPhones since 2007, and I have never used a case. I don’t like cases, I don’t like the bulk that it adds, and with the size of phones now, it just makes it that much bigger.

When I got my 6S plus back in 2015, dealing with the camera bump was super annoying. Like you, I would often type with the phone laying flat on a desk, and it would constantly bounce around.

While it wasn’t the main reason, the camera bump and not being able to type flat on the desk was in part why I end up “downgrading“ to an SE one.

I now have a 13 mini, and I have the same issue with the camera bump. And a new issue that I didn’t have with a 6S plus, when I’m trying to go to bed at night and I am trying not to wake up my wife, placing the 13 mini on my nightstand often leads to it flopping back-and-forth making a lot more noise than it should. I don’t always remember, but I try to lay it down Face ID down to avoid the noise.

Reactions: tomthumb17

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
You could get a MagSafe phone holder for your desk, that’s what I have. Or even a cheap MagSafe wallet or popsocket type accessory that may let it sit flat on your desk

tomthumb17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
England
You could get a MagSafe phone holder for your desk, that’s what I have. Or even a cheap MagSafe wallet or popsocket type accessory that may let it sit flat on your desk
Thanks, that’s not a bad idea and to be honest, I may get a case (I’ve found a couple of options that I think will work) and still get a MagSafe stand too.

tomthumb17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
England

What about these?
Thanks, I got really excited about this when I clicked on the link you posted. I actually really like the idea of this. Although, I wish that it was silicon/TPU/rubbery rather than metal! But once I started to looking at these I then also found a case called the Flex which doesn’t have any sides which I’m now also looking at. I’m still undecided though! 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.