I don't want a smaller iPad - I want a smaller iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NeoPod, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NeoPod macrumors newbie

NeoPod

I don't want a smaller iPad - I want a smaller iPhone

Basically the iPhone is a great phone, net surfer, communicator, network status update device, assistant et al.

But, the problem is you cannot hold it in one hand and type, the thumb/finger scenario is still too big, the distance is still too far unless you're a basketball player with incredibly long fingers.

I would love to see a iPhoneMini, 0.5"/1" smaller screen size, still Retina display

Thoughts please?

Neopod

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If anything, the iphone would benefit from an increase in size. It feels cramped at times in my hand as is and I have normal sized hands

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The iPhone is that size for a reason... and not just because most people like the 3.5" display (if anything, most would probably like one larger). The electronics, battery, and everything else stuffed inside would be extremely difficult to pack into a significantly smaller area.

Basically, it would raise the cost tremendously and be wanted by fewer people.

Don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Wait....what? As tiny as I am, I have no problem using it with one hand.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You must have really really small hands. My aunt's hands are the size of pennies and she can hold it in one hand.

6. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A lot of practice with this fingers...:eek:

8. NeoPod thread starter macrumors newbie

NeoPod

Well, If it can be made to guarantee the horizontal {larger keyboard} will work on every website so you have a larger keyboard thats fine.
    I was actually posting for my father who has phat fingers and bad eyesight, the iPad will fix that issue.
    For me, the slightly smaller screen would be great if the keyboard always works on horizontal, or there is the option to lock Vertical or Horizontal

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't know about a smaller iPad since I've never owned one but I think 3.5" is a good size and wouldn't want it smaller. I think I'd be ok with it being a bit bigger like 3.7 or 4.8 but I definitely don't want something as big as some of the android phones out there.

Yeah Apple should add a way to lock it in horizontal mode. It would just be an option. You could either use it or not

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'd love to see the size bumped up to 4-4.3 inches.

11. NeoPod thread starter macrumors newbie

NeoPod

All I'm sayin is can you easily reach all parts of the screen with your thumb accurately?, yes I do not have tiny fingers, but with one hand its your thumb and thats a big thumbprint, I often end up signing up to something when I meant to Unsubscribe.
    I now own a Holiday Home in Mauritius, a $1k Share in Leemans Brothers and support the Conservative Party
    The practicality of the phone is that you use 4 fingers to hold it if using one hand, that leaves the Thumb to be the pointer, the thumb is the largest digit you have and that makes selecting something rather messy due to it's size
    If the screen was slightly smaller, you could use your smaller fingers to select something.
    UPDATE
    Just tested this and it's complete balls
    No matter what size it is, you would still use your big phat thumb
    So apart from going for a BB nipple, I a now willing to say I am happy with teh screen size
    Case Closed
    Neopod

12. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

are you a child?

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I know I'm in the minority but I also like to see a smaller iPhone, not with a smaller display but something like the iPod Touch minus the scratch-magnet back cover. It's so refreshing to have something that easily slips in and out of my pocket and the display size is still big enough for most tasks.

However I guess the challenge is the limited battery size. Phones with larger displays can be thinner because they can still cram battery in there but for a smaller phones it'll be difficult to find enough space for battery while keeping the thickness down.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

What's this fascination with a larger iPhone? Must admit, I don't get it. My iPhone fits perfectly in my hand and pocket. Is this an American thing?

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know I'm a little slow, but what does the above have to do with your thumb, or your hand, or typing with your thumb, or screen size.:eek:

Or anything, for that matter...

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I don't get it either. Do people who want bigger screens actually watch movies or shows on them?

17. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

[​IMG]

18. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You're holding it wrong.

If you flip your hand so you're holding it with your thumb, you can use your fingers for more accuracy (of course you give up stabilization and people would give you looks in public).

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I actually gave that a try :p

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not sure why anyone would actually want to watch an entire movie on a phone.

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm not saying having a bigger screen wouldn't be nice, but not at the expense of a not being able to hold it properly, reach the entire screen with my thumb and fit it in my pockets

22. Invincibilizer, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Troll ALERT

23. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You should get an iPod touch. Them things are small.

24. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I have normal hands, and I can easily click anywhere on the iPhone screen using the thumb of the same hand I'm holding it with. It is definitely a one-handable device for your average person.

You can orientation lock your device. Double-home, swipe to get the special menu on the left, far-left button with the circular arrow. Lock it in landscape and every app that supports landscape will be forced into landscape.

I'm not saying I'm against making it smaller, it's just your particular reasons are baseless.

25. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Wow, you want a smaller iPhone? The iPhone is already small enough. Any smaller and I think it'll be too small.