I don't want moving parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HeyDudeItsSky, May 31, 2012.

1. HeyDudeItsSky macrumors newbie

I recently got the MacBook Pro 13" i7. I swapped the HDD for a 256GB SSD and moved the 750GB HDD to the SuperDrive space.
    I have re-configured my 'home' to live on the HDD because that's where I want to keep media and other files/folders. I only want the SSD to boot the OS and applications.
    SO
    My question is: upon startup, if I don't do and/or launch anything and do not have any apps to start at login, would that HDD sit perfectly still? Or will it spin up just as soon as it gets power by default?
    I have tried to give it a good listen to see if I can hear it but without any luck (that I can hear)
    From a tech standpoint though, it seems that this question could be answered without me having to look like a freak pressing my machine onto the side of my head! Ha!

Thanks guys!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Do your Desktop items not "live" in your "home" that's been moved off to the HDD? If so, it would need to spin up.

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

Your library in your user folder is being accessed.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Apps quite often store settings and data in the Home folder. That will make the HDD spin up.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

As long as OSX sees the drive, it's going to spin up at some point to index it.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It will spin up, just because OS X sees it. It may spin down to an almost imperceptible speed, but it is most likely going to keep moving, regardless.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's going to spin up as part of the boot process, if nothing else as a hardware test and to detect if it's bootable or set as the boot drive.