I don't want moving parts

HeyDudeItsSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I recently got the MacBook Pro 13" i7. I swapped the HDD for a 256GB SSD and moved the 750GB HDD to the SuperDrive space.
I have re-configured my 'home' to live on the HDD because that's where I want to keep media and other files/folders. I only want the SSD to boot the OS and applications.
SO
My question is: upon startup, if I don't do and/or launch anything and do not have any apps to start at login, would that HDD sit perfectly still? Or will it spin up just as soon as it gets power by default?
I have tried to give it a good listen to see if I can hear it but without any luck (that I can hear)
From a tech standpoint though, it seems that this question could be answered without me having to look like a freak pressing my machine onto the side of my head! Ha!

Thanks guys!

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
Do your Desktop items not "live" in your "home" that's been moved off to the HDD? If so, it would need to spin up.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Apps quite often store settings and data in the Home folder. That will make the HDD spin up.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
As long as OSX sees the drive, it's going to spin up at some point to index it.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
It will spin up, just because OS X sees it. It may spin down to an almost imperceptible speed, but it is most likely going to keep moving, regardless.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
It's going to spin up as part of the boot process, if nothing else as a hardware test and to detect if it's bootable or set as the boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.