Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
iphone 6 s plus--I have some contacts that I dont want other contacts to know about on my phone --how have two sets of contacts mischief and personal....make sense...??? thanks and I for sure don't want them synced to my other mac's --same reason--Thank you

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Umm... Yeah it is... You could have one group of contacts saved to a Gmail account and one to iCloud for instance. Or one set as "on my iPhone" and one set for iCloud
Speaking of groups…

I've used this app since iOS 5. Groups

Allows you to create and remove categories and to move contacts in and out of those categories on the device itself.

Reactions: davidmartindale

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Looks pretty handy tbh. I might have to look into that.
Way back when, there was no way for me to sync contacts from my PowerPC Mac to my iPhone 5 because Apple cut of PowerPC syncing to iTunes when it introduced the Lightning cable.

So, finding an app that could actually create groups ON my phone was a trial. I've stuck with this company's app then and updated it over it's history because they've supported this capability for the longest.

The interface itself isn't much to look at (in fact it's ridiculously garish) but the app does what it says on the tin.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
iphone 6 s plus--I have some contacts that I dont want other contacts to know about on my phone

I really want to know how contact "A" would find out (or care) that you also had contact "B" in the phone, whether you were using groups, or keeping them in different cloud storage accounts.

I mean, *I* don't want my Exchange contacts in my personal Fastmail account, and I don't really want my personal contacts in my Exchange account, but I triage it occasionally with BusyContacts and it's fine. But contacts in either one have no way to find out which list they're in.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can easily set up as many different groups as you want in iCloud, and have them synced to all devices. Contacts from group A would never know about any other contacts from other groups, unless you wanted them to know etc.

Go to the phone app, clic on Groups, and you would see all the groups you have created in iCloud. If you want to only see a specific group to check for a certain person, make sure that only that group is ticked and then click done. That will show you only the contacts in that group. Makes it easy to find people while also keeping business contacts separate from private.

No need download an app for what can be done in iCloud, in my opinion.

Reactions: davidmartindale
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.