I don't want the MBPs Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mykbibby, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Now I'm sure some of you would like to shoot me in the head for this statement of madness. But hear me out...

If Apple announces the new MBPs tomorrow, what are we going to get? Considering his Steveness won't be the one to announce it, it will probably be a modest update... Penryn, with the new trackpad (maybe).

However, if the update comes on the 26th at the Media Event, then we will probably see a striking new industrial design... something that will wow us like the iMac did. Thinner enclosure perhaps, with tons of extra features, and of course, Penryn and the multi-touch trackpad.

In my opinion, Steve would want to be the one to announce something like the second option, but not the first. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather wait a couple more weeks for option 2, rather than tomorrow with option 1.

Let's hope for new MBPs on the 26th, not tomorrow!

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Hard to say... I mostly agree with you, but also consider that most of the possible form factor changes would be what was used in the MBA, so it would be meh to make a big deal of the exact same features, just on a different notebook.

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I've been thinking the same. If there's going to be a complete over-haul in the new MBP design/update then there should be an event dedicated to it. I am sure Apple will make it a big thing and simply not just a launch on their website. We'll see soon.

4. YELLOWSOUL macrumors member

in less than 18 hours.....:D

5. Richie Ni macrumors newbie

I disagree. Do you think they could get us a new design and tons of extra features in just two weeks?

It's possible if you mean the 26th in 2009. :rolleyes:

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

8. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

LOL... you won't be saying that after the RDF passes, and you realize all you were waiting for was modest performance gain and pinching ability!

9. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I don't really know what an overhaul design would be. They're not going to make it any thinner with just having released the Macbook Air. Plus they couldn't have pro components in a machine that size at this point. The only thing I could see happening would be maybe the case becoming more rounded on the edges like the Air. Also the keyboard and trackpad being updated, but that's a given. I can't really see there being anything revolutionary. We'll see maybe I'm wrong :D

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well we certainly dont want it go be any thinner, look at how crippled the mba is keep it the same size, wait 6 months put in the new 9x series nforce chips bump the speed availability to 2.4 $1999 and 2.6 $2499 with 2.8 option(hopefully they will be cool enough by then), 4gb standard on the 2.6? eh, maybe maybe not, there woulnt be any upgrade available for memory then

remember im talking about 6 months from now

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Oh thats ok :)

This is just a replacement machine that Apple owes me ;)

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Hypocrisy much?

Speak for yourself, after the RDF passes you realise you have waited extra for just a different look! Big deal!

At the very least Penryn brings some technical merits.

13. David G. macrumors 6502a

Yep! We could have modest updates tomorrow, or we could wait 'til the 26th for a media event that hasn't even been confirmed yet, and gain the same exact modest updates. Sounds like a brilliant plan. Stunning really.

In review.
    Modest update tomorrow (Penryn + multitouch)
    Big update this summer (Montevina, which will also allow redesigned case)

14. omore1234 macrumors member

I agree with the thread poster. I think if we get it tomorrow then it will just be minor updates..... I am hoping for a new industrial design on the 26th. I consider a new industrial design to be an overhaul and make things slightly slimmer with rounded edges. Just something with POWER! :D:D

15. conchshell macrumors member

I don't understand why next week = small upgrades. That may happen, but hybrid drives, blu-ray, graphics card upgrades, fingerprint readers, 17" LED, and countless else is available now in other laptops that do not have Montevina. Why would they wait to make more money on options?

16. acoustictones macrumors member

acoustictones

Being that the MBP is their top of the line product I would rather see it come out later BUT better. Faster, more powerful, better graphics cards, better display, LED, larger and faster hard drive, etc. And I don't mean 2 weeks later either. If it took a few more months to make it happen...so be it. A few months for some REAL boost to what they already have would be worth it.

17. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

i dont mind, i really dont care. as long as (please please god make it happen) it can happily play starcraft 2, whenever its released, then ill be straight on the phone to apple.

done and done. but please apple, make it a tad thinner than it is at the moment jst so mba users can feel just a little more sick to their stomachs. (cue evil laugh)

18. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

I agree with you, if they are doing a big changes it would likely warrent a big event like something tacked onto the rumored SDK event. One way I could see us getting new MBPs tommorrow is if the SDK is delayed (as it has been rumored to be). In this case they may not want to wait any longer to release the new MBPs.

Either way I can't wait to get my hands on a new MBP!

19. tbeahrs macrumors newbie

What... you think they are just starting on this tommorow?? Its been a loooong since the last MBP update. Who knows what kinds of innovative goodies they have been brewing up all this time. Maybe they were shooting to showcase the new MBP at Macworld and didn't have it ready. Sounds like a good reason to schedule a February event. Maybe its too big for a silent update:apple:

20. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i am really hoping for the 26th. it would certainly mean something better then a minor update lets say...in 12 hours or so.

21. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

New design = new bugs

I also believe the new design won't be here until at least Montevina, which will allow for a smaller motherboard. Even then, there is a height limitation due to the optical drive and heatpipe, and a width/depth limitation due to the screen, so all bets are off really.

I like the current design. I'd rather get a new Penryn MBP with the current tried and true design, then upgrade to the thing after the thing after Montevina, which will have the bugs worked out by then and be way more power efficient (hopefully enough to be truly fanless/solid state).

22. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I agree. I wouldn't count on a redesign till Montevina (June) at the earliest. The current design is better than any competitor out there. Though I like a nicely designed computer, the far more important thing at least for a "Pro" computer is power. People who keep wanting a thinner case in a Pro computer confound me. Then Apple keeps making them thinner which is ridiculous. All this despite the numerous overheating issues that occur exactly because the computer was designed too thin. I hope a case redesign for the next MBP incorporates more Pro features like a better GPU or graphics card, an X9000 chip and larger RAM capacity. In order to keep a system like this running cool, I wouldn't mind if it added to the thickness of the case design. Apple does great design, they'd know how to make it look good. If Apple goes thinner with the next MacBook Pro design I would suggest they drop the "Pro".

23. glitchu1 macrumors member

Maybe it will be like with the MacPro? Didn't that get updated, then it got a mention at MW2008? So is it possible it will be updated Tuesday, and then on the 26th Steve can say "And two weeks ago we unveiled the new MacBook Pro, and we have already had millions of orders placed!" and "They especially love the $600 price drop" :D .... well maybe not.

Well just a thought

24. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

thread is getting old!

thread is a day old..
    i don't think something big will happen anymore..
    the updates came out.. i guess that's it for the week.

anyone have a different take on this?