I don't want to be Soft Macho! Workout Advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Aug 14, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Ahaha it seems I turn to macrumors for more life advice than mac advice, ohwell!

So I was watching Japanese TV with the family once, and they had this show where they basically showed a buff guy "macho" and a skinny little Japanese dude "Softo Macho" and asked a bunch of Japanese people to choose which they prefer.

Now the point that most of the Japanese people chose Soft Macho is irrelevant, the relevant part is that when the soft macho appeared on the screen my entire family turned and looked at me.

So today I finally decided that in preparation for a healthyer life, and the scary move to dallas texas I will use healthy food (already doing so I believe) and exercise to transform my current skinny boy self, to skinny boy with some muscler mass.

However! Like many geek out on the internet, i suffer from clumsykidness and my hand eye coordination is pretty much as bad as it gets, and up until maybe a year and a half ago I have let that eat into my confidence. I am still in no way going to be joining any sport teams, despite pressure from my best mate and i'm too shy to turn to my fitness training, oxfam 100km hike doing (I take around 20 hours to do around half the distance she did in 37) mother in the matter of strength training (I don't know why).

Thats why I have (partially, my parents knows my user name here) anonymously turned to this great community for advice on strength, cardio, and co-ordination training for a beginer (and a late one too) quite tall, quite skinny (wow i'm painting a rather horrid picture in your minds right now, yes I have seen the sun before and I have friends :p) teenage boy....

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/l/blbegstrength.htm <-- opinions?

-Omi

2. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Maybe :p

How much i'ma let those before pictures show however is in question... :p

-Omi

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You're going to do a lot of those wrong :D. You're going to over-protract your shoulders in the push ups (especially wall ones), you're going to drive through the toes on your squats, you'll hyper-extend your erector spinae on the rear delt good morning, and probably moreso with the ball dead lift.

Having said that, their total body strength 2 article is much, much better, although I'd substitute the tricep kickback for a tricep press from the first article. I think About.com should put videos in these articles, it would help a lot.

Very often, what exercises you choose isn't as important as correct form when exercising. If you do a hundred push ups but your shoulders are over-protracted, your chest isn't going to really get any bigger or stronger. You're 15, which means you're still in high school, and you have resources available to you. Go to one of the gym/phys ed teachers with your list of exercises and ask "am I doing this right?" You'll probably get enough feedback in ten minutes to be ready to go!

I know that sounds a little bit scary and intimidating, and I don't want to dissuade you from exercising. Doing these exercises wrong isn't going to hurt you or stunt your growth or anything like that. It just means you're not going to see as much of a benefit as you'd like as quickly as you'd like. As I always tell my clients, there's no point in working hard if you're not working smart.

Also, and importantly, eat more than you are now, and eat healthy food. Muscles don't grow without fuel!

4. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yes I will probably do all of those :) The good thing is that I have often seen/heard my mom do/talk about some of the things listed there...Some. :s

Yes videos would be nice, do you have a link to that article?

Well, i'll probably have that available when I move, but the school I used to go to here is a small international school with not many resources, and well the teacher :s

Yup, which is why I didn't jump straight into this, and came here! :)
    Eating is when thing I enjoy, and because my mom, i also eat quite healthy (though to be fair, when i'm out alone subways or mcdonalds is my lunch of choice :p)

I don't really want to get "big". Just fitter and healthier and...toned?

-Omi

5. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Not a bad idea for general cardioish fun activity?

But other than that...?

-Omi

7. cube macrumors G5

The point was to do a bit of DDR at home before, if you're so self-conscious to join a dojo directly.

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I agree. I've played DDR for 7 years, and it is a great workout.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You misread — I said that I think about.com should provide videos (but they currently don't).
    You won't get "big" unless you eat and train specifically to get big, and even then it'll be a slow process. Fitter and healthier is what you'll get.
    Starting Strength is a good program, but I caution you (if you don't already know) that most early strength gains are actually muscle fibre and neuron recruitment, and not muscle strength or growth. Your body is simply learning to use your muscles in an optimum way to perform the exercise. Strength gains are going to taper down fairly quickly to a slower and steadier rate.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Right, I know that they'll slow down; in fact, they already have. I've been working out for half a year with dumbbells already (I elected to go with dumbbells because in January, I could not bench press the 45 lbs bar, let alone vertical press one), so I've already been doing variations of these exercises or similar ones.

I just like that even though it's slowed, I'm still making steady progress and the workouts seem to be fast while being fairly comprehensive.

12. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

No sorry I didn't word that right, I ment to say I wish they provided videos... and I thought you mentioned another article from about.com that I would like the link to.

I'm okay with that :)

Good to know. Thankyou for all the good advice.

I will go read that Starting Strength article now.

13. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Get regular exercise.
    Anything, really. Running, swimming, playing soccer w/friends, etc.

Increase calorie intake. Eat more.
    Important- Balance your diet.

For cardio: Set up a running/swimming routine. Something simple will do, like '10 km a day, 3 days a week'. (for running) or swim for 2km non-stop. (You can also use google for more complex routines that may be more effective.)
    Jumprope, tennis, basketball, soccer, etc are all good forms of exercise for cardio.
    You can also find machines such as the elliptical, rowing machine, step machine, treadmill, and bike at a gym.

For strength: If you want muscles, you need to use them, feed them, and make sure they get rest.

At home: Pushups, sit ups, crunches, chin-ups, lunges, squats, etc are all good for strength training at home, if you dont have any dumbells. (you simply use body weight)

At the gym you will find a lot of good machines, many of which target specific muscles in your body. Dumbbells are good because they affect a broader range of muscles.
    As a beginner, you should find a person that is familiar with all this that can personally show you and direct you to use the equipment correctly in order to prevent injury.

Again, there is a huge list of different exercises that you can perform at they gym, so it is best you learn them from a trainer or research them, based on what you want to work on. (or maybe another member can help you)

Taking in at least 1 or 2 grams per kilogram of body weight is essential to helping your body rebuild the muscle that you used while exercising. Chicken, nuts, fish, are all great sources of protein. If you want to make sure you get a solid amount of protein, you can always go find some protein shakes, like Musclemilk.

I found that eating 4-5 smaller meals a day (instead of 3) keeps me going a lot better than breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you're very skinny, and if you eat normally, you probably have a pretty fast metabolism, (like me) so I found getting snacks (healthy) or light meals in between my other meals helped me a lot.

A very important thing that many tend to forget is to REST. Don't exercise the same muscle two days in a row, and make sure you get a solid amount of sleep. It is important to maintain a consistent sleep schedule. For example, go to sleep at 11, and wake up at 7. You get 8 hours of sleep, and you wake up pretty early to get a good start to the day. (You can use this time to go running)

This won't make you the Hulk or anything, but if you remain consistent at it, it will help you fill your frame with enough muscle so you look toned and fit.
    (Especially if you're very skinny now, with little fat, your muscles will stand out easily if they grow)

And don't be shy to talk to your mom. If you live with your parents, then she can help you by preparing foods that will help your exercises/growth.

I don't really know how you can improve your hand eye coordination. Maybe try to throw/catch tennis balls, or play tennis with the wall?

Good luck, just remain consistent with your efforts, and you'll see results soon.

14. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

15. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Haha no no not at all. I have read everything and really considered it.

However considered is just about the only thing I have done. The only thing I have done this summer that half constitutes as active is a few trips to the beach in Kamakuru, and a mostly walk some run for a few hours.

I think really the hardest and most dangerous part of the Anti Softmacho brigade is to get me off my lazy butt.

-Omi

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd recommend picking up this book:

Strength Training Anatomy

It will help you to actually understand each exercise and which muscles the exercise affects. It will show you proper form.

It is very important to eat healthfully. That means no more McDonald's or other fast food- that stuff is poison. Cut down on soda, chips, fried foods, chocolate/candy bars, etc.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you a simple weekly exercise schedule that I created. I used to give it to my patients that were interested in starting to exercise. I found that the frustrating part for most people was that they just couldn't figure out how to organize their exercise schedule once they learned the exercises. Just PM me if you want it. :cool:

Of course, I wouldn't be able to show you the exercises, but combining the schedule with the book (or some other good reference- perhaps a friend that already exercises) would suffice.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're something like 15 correct?--don't expect huge muscles at this age. Since you're already skinny I'd avoid a lot of cardio right now. Cardio will just keep you skinny. It might tone you up a little but nothing more. Strength training with free weights is the way to go. Additionally, make sure you get enough sleep and eat plenty of healthy food and you'll notice a change.