i dont want to but what are my options?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by comda, Mar 17, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings mac Rumors!

I am the proud owner of a 2007 white Core 2 Duo macbook! I love the machine. Since december 2007 it has not failed or given up on me. Running with 4Gb of Ram and a 240Gb solid state shes a nice machine!

I installed ML on it and everything worked perfect minus the wireless. i couldnt figure out how to install the kext.... BUt other then that perfect. heck the video was more smooth then lion ever was.

My dilemma is the fact that if i cannot get mountain lion running smoothly on this system (so basically get the wifi driver running) im going to be running snow leopard or maybe Lion.

This laptop has made it 7 years and although with new RAm, battery (this fall and SSD) its getting a bit old.. I was wondering other then the standard 13' macbook pro released in 2012 are there any other macbooks that are still user upgradeable?

2. gooser macrumors 6502

i know what i would do. buy a mid 2009 2.13ghz macbook. there are plenty of them on e-bay for around $200. swap out your memory, battery and hard drive and run whatever operating system you want to. it can run yosemite if you wish and it has better graphics. then downgrade the one left over to 10.6 and sell it if you choose to. you have to be a bit creative these days to get a repairable laptop.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Just remember if you run Snow Leopard that Apple isn't delivering security updates anymore. At the very least, the goto fail and FREAK vulnerabilities haven't been patched. :(

4. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The new MB is not user upgradable, but it is something we may as well have to get used to. At one point in time, all upgradable Macs will be obsolete and no longer supported by Apple.

But I expect that rMB to last 7 years as well, like any other Mac, so I wouldn't worry about it in that respect.

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I know you want Mountain Lion, but I would highly recommend the 2012 13" cMBP. I bought one back in 2012 and it still looks and runs like new- even with Yosemite on it.

The cool thing about not having a Retina display is that the GPU is way more than powerful enough to drive the 1280x800 display. As a result, I have never had performance problems that many of the rMBP users have experienced with Mavericks and Yosemite.

After putting a 256 GB SSD into my machine, I can't justify buying a new Mac for at least another year or two, if not more. It's just a solid machine.