I don't want to loose ipad 2 apps

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lkoller, Jun 26, 2011.

1. lkoller macrumors newbie

I first set up itunes on my macbook pro with a nano. Then I set up an ipod touch which of course has apps now. I now have an ipad 2 and have different apps loaded and organized on the ipad. I want to sync my macbook, ipod t, and ipad calendars. I'm tired of entering the same calendar events on all 3 devices. How do I do this without loosing all of the apps I downloaded onto either my ipodt or ipad2? I want different apps on each device. What will happen when I sync my ipad on itunes?

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

It's no problem, you can setup different sync settings for each device. I have an iPad, 2 iPhones and 5 iPods synced to the same library, all with different stuff on.

3. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

You could get a Google account and sync them all with that. There's no obligation to use the mail feature...

You could also use Apple's iCloud, which is coming out next season (2 months)...

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

First, you can sync different apps to different devices on your computer if they are associated with the same iTunes account (or sync them with different accounts with a different user and hence different iTunes library.

Or, in case you haven't heard, there is the purchase history now in the Apps store app on iOS devices that let you re-download any app to what ever device is associated with that account regardless if it has been on that device before.

In short, you won't loose your Apps. Music behaves like this too if your iTunes account is a US one.

5. lkoller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all!

I did set up two different folders, one for iPad and one for iPod. I use the control key when I open iTunes and I can choose which ever folder I then need. After iTunes is open, then I plug in my device and sync.
    I still couldn't get the calendar events from the iPad onto my Mac calendar but I did set up a google calendar and there they all were. So I then told my Mac calendar to display the google calendar and it worked! now I have to see if they will sync onto my iPod. Here goes!
    It's a shame you have to jump through hoops to just sync calendars!
    Thanks for your help!

6. wovel macrumors 68000

I have different apps on my iPad, Iphone, and kids iPod touch.. They all synch to the same instance of iTunes, never had to do anything to make that work, it just does.

7. DefBref macrumors 6502

Your using the multiple libraries option, there was really no need to do this, its simple to setup different sync settings for each device from the same library. The problem with your method is its easy to sync to the wrong library.