I don't want to Update Software

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Crazy Badger, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

From my first iPhone 3G, I’ve pretty much always updated iOS within a few weeks of an update, sometimes on the day it was releases, and from time to time even a public beta on a non-critical device.

Until 10.2 I’d never restored back to a previous version, but the ‘bug’ Apple fixed to stop a completely black dock and folder icons made my jet black 7 look terrible so I went back to 10.1.

[​IMG]

I now understand why Apple’s adoption of their latest OS is so high, as they make it increasing more difficult not to upgrade with the package automatically downloading (even when it’s been deleted) and update notifications on an almost daily basis.

I’ve made a conscious decision not to update as I value the look of my iPhone over any of the latest functionality, so why can’t I switch these notifications off until I’ve decided I’m ready to update?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

There is a workaround to disable the update notification long enough: download a tvOS beta profile, then install it. By doing so, you will not be prompted to install any update unless you uninstall that tvOS profile.

I installed one on my iPad mini, and it worked great.

3. SSAJ macrumors 6502

I also have it on my 4S

4. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

from where can i download the tvos profile? any direct url?

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If you have a friend as an Apple developer, you can ask him to give you that profile.

6. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

7. fjarl macrumors member

Isn't getting security updates more important than a minor visual tweak?

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

But stability outweighs security update for many users.

9. fjarl macrumors member

True. Not quite convinced the black background bug qualifies as stability though :p

10. dekomori macrumors newbie

Updating my phone to ios 10 was the biggest mistake of my life. My iPhone 6 used to have silky smooth animation. Apple should give us at least the chance to go back, ios 9 was the best os for me, damn hope to get those last pieces of iPhone 6s with iOs 9 before they go away forever T.T

11. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This could be considered as feature hack. Similar cases are like previous "animation bug" and the one you are using.
    To maintain such bug, a particular version of software is required. :)
    For me, I don't care that much about those "features" but more on security.

12. fjarl macrumors member

You might be pleasantly surprised when 10.3 is released.

13. dekomori, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

dekomori macrumors newbie

indeed that's my last resort, im pretty depressed right now. on paper (geekbench) seems to be even better than ios 9.3.5

14. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Go read the security fixes in 10.2, it's unimaginable not keeping my devices updated after 5 mins of reading some of those.