I drop my iPhone (broken screen)... Can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by error404, Dec 12, 2010.

1. error404 macrumors member

The glass screen is cracked, but the LCD is working perfectly as it should.

Has anybody replace it? any horror stories?

I'm looking to purchase it here: http://www.directfix.com/category/IPHONE3GS.html

but if some one knows a better place... please let me know :(

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Since the link is for the iPhone 3GS, I assume that is what iPhone you have. But yes many people have replaced them, it's not that hard.

3. error404 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

and I do Have a 3GS

4. miguueeel macrumors member

I don't recommend to try to do it your self unless you know what you are you doing. Take it to a shop so they can do it for you.

5. Vampire5003, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

6. Vampire5003, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I disagree. Study the video on how to do it and take your time. It's not a hard process and something I would never pay to have done. Using iTunes is harder than this.

8. miguueeel macrumors member

Lol am to scared to do it so yeah.

9. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

I repair iPhones as a side business.

Send me a message if you want more info.

10. error404 thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:

I end up buying the parts from: http://www.directfix.com/category/IPHONE3GS.html

and the phone is working fine.

It doesn't look like it did before the accident. While separating the broken screen from the frame I took the gasket that surrounded the screen (I don't know if it "had" to be taken out or not... Maybe LongbowFoSho can answer that ).

So now that it's closed, there is a small gap between the screen and the silver ring surrounding the phone.

When the phone is off, I can see a tiny grid in the screen. Once it's on you can't see it. It's not that visible... but I don't remember ever seeing it on a factory phone

It feels as responsive as before in terms of touch sensitivity

If you can avoid dropping it, I would highly recommend it instead :D

BTW
    What protective enclosure do you guys recommend?

11. LongbowFoSho, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

LongbowFoSho macrumors member

Did you buy just the digitizer or a complete assembly with the digitzer, metal frame and LCD?

I sincerely hope you didn't pay them $25 for just a digitizer when you can pay only $10 for genuine OEM digitizers from USA sellers on eBay and Amazon that also include the tools and adhesive.

After browsing around a little, everything on that site is overpriced.

The only way I see them being anything other than a complete ripoff is if they include express 1 or 2 day shipping FREE with every order.

Otherwise, its e-robbery.

I told you to PM me.

EDIT: Screw doing repairs if people are willing to pay 100% retail mark-up prices for parts. Looks like I've found my next business venture.

12. Yousef.AlMal macrumors newbie

yes you can use zagg invisible shield

its a screen protector but its not normal.

or you can use idrops its a liquid to make big scratches like you have go away

hope it helps:D:D

13. error404, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

error404 thread starter macrumors member

You are an idiot

Do you think that from: "05:40 PM when you posted to 05:57 PM (when I posted my update) " i went ahead... Order the parts, have them shipped and installed on my phone? My phone has been fixed for days

Besides, I would have not sent my phone to a complete stranger, just because he posted in a forum that he repair phones.

I do have to thank you... I was not aware that you could buy the chassis bezel and digitizer already together. If I would have know... I would have gone that route.

EDIT-
    Merry Christmas

14. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

Wow. Calm down, brah.

I told you to PM me so I could give you some advice on parts and where to get them as well as tips and tricks on the repair itself, not because I wanted your money. There are plenty of customers in my area to keep me busy. I don't need you.

But, at least now you know about the digitizer w/ the metal frame.

Let me know if you have any other insults to send my way.

15. error404 thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm good :D

16. Angel baby macrumors member

Angel baby

Agree with miguueeel, take it to a shop and allow the professional replace a new screen for you. I assume it won't cost you too much.

17. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

I'm new here , but can we block certain users or threads

It would make it a lot easier than to remember the OP's name. People like him don't deserve to be helped.

18. miguueeel macrumors member

Plus if something goes wrong is their responsibility to fix it or get you a replacement ... but if you try and mess up you're gonna end up paying more.