I dropped it in an Apple Store.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tom G., May 7, 2015.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I went to the :apple: Store at the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing in Indianapolis today to see and try on the :apple: Watches and choose which one I wanted. I chose the 42MM Sport Silver case with the white strap. I told the sale person that was helping me that I chose the silver case because I ultimately will be getting the Milanese Loop band. He offered to let me try on a Stainless Steel model that had that band so I could see what it felt like.

He took the watch out of the drawer and laid it on the counter, and reached down to close the drawer. While he was doing this I picked up the watch and went to put it on, and I DROPPED IT!!

It hit the edge of the counter, did a half gainer and went straight to the floor landing on its face. People standing around who saw what happened gasped as it hit the floor. I swooped down and picked it up and put it back on the counter, the sales person picked it up, gave it a very quick check, held it up for all to see while announcing "It still works."

I was all apologies, but it didn't seem to phase him.

I did order my watch before I left, I have a July shipping date.

Perhaps I should have offered to buy the one I dropped at a reduced price since it had been dropped? :D

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

4. Vin2015 macrumors member

Yeah I guess I'll buy this broken watch now.

5. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

You break it you bought it!

6. H3rman macrumors 6502

They are just demo units running a video loop. Probably just shells with little to no processing power within them. Even if it had broken I wouldn't have been too worried.

It is good to hear the sapphire can withstand the odd drop without shattering into a million pieces though. Some people on here would have you believe it breaks as soon as you breath on it because it's that hard/brittle.

7. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

They are not shells just running a video loop

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

Don't think this will put Apple out of business haha.

9. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Lovely to look at
    Delightful to hold
    But if you break it
    Consider it sold

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

11. Nitin2015 macrumors newbie

12. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

I was expecting you to say that they were going to make you pay for the dropped watch.

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I was expecting to see a shattered apple watch picture.
    You should've just told the genius that you wanted to make sure it's drop resistant. After all, you're shelling a big chunk of money for the watch. ;)

14. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I went to that store for a try on but the guy was so awkward I didn't do anything but try on various models. He didn't talk to me or really help much at all. It was pretty terrible.

15. Kyone macrumors member

Was it this bad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwqANb9Acg

16. Apfpilot macrumors regular

I did a try on at the Oakbrook Store in Chicago that was terrible. I live in Indy so I decided to do one there too. The experience was much much better.

17. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I skipped try-ons at other stores I was near when traveling, but was very impressed with the experience at the Keystone store (and compared to what others have shared at their local Apple Stores).

Oh, and I'm sure there was less chance of damage since the floors at the Keystone store are wood - I'm curious what would've happened on the tile of others. Then again, I'm sure the demo units are less "valuable" and Apple probably took into account some damage.

18. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I'd be pretty surprised if this was the case. I'm sure they're regular watches just running a special app or perhaps with custom firmware. It would cost Apple a lot more in R&D and manufacturing to design a whole new 'demo' watch with different hardware than they'd save by putting slightly cheaper to manufacture devices in.

I'm sure they do expect them to be handled and dropped and take a bit of wear, though.

19. srshaw macrumors 6502

I was very satisfied with my try on at meadowhall, sheffield in the uk. I just wanted to see if a 42mm which I ordered would look ok, but the salesperson showed all the various straps. I now know I want a classic leather band, and the milanese loop is also a very nice steap indeed.

20. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

When I read the title I instantly thought of the Portlandia skit where Carrie drops her iPhone. (Search "Portlandia iPhone" and should be able to easily find the video.)

21. ryanasimov macrumors regular

Your concern about the watch is ethical and admirable, but don't lose sleep over it; Apple has most assuredly calculated the number of damaged watches their try-on program will incur. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't do it. Apple understands the cost of doing business.

22. bluecow macrumors regular

its one thing if your messing around and grabbing things and manhandling them, and another if it just slips off your wrist. Any mass retailer should cover incidental damage to products on their shelves. High end places with big signs saying "do not touch" is a different story. Apple wants you to touch, things will break, they know that.

Meanwhile, the story was not nearly as bad as I expected when I opened this thread.