I dropped my iPhone 3GS 32GB in paint.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by physigory, Nov 21, 2009.

1. physigory macrumors newbie

Today at work I dropped my iPhone in paint, the screen and everything is working fine except for the speaker and the camera --- help?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Meaning they both don't work?

And by dropped, do you mean there is some paint on it or was there some submerging.

3. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

There was submerging, it's completely clean now except there is still some paint in the holes, the headphone jack is working fine, I think that the paint is pushing into the jack though to disable the speaker, the camera is foggy.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

5. trajen macrumors 6502a

Get some mineral spirits and a toothbrush or toothpick and have at it! Good luck! :)

6. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

Mineral spirits?

7. alm99 macrumors 6502

Paint thinner

8. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't that eat away at my phone?

9. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I'd try it in a small area first to see. It'll may make the finish on the case hazy. But you don't really have a lot to lose. I mean, your phone has paint on it :p

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Too bad you didn't have the 16Gb 3Gs, those are paint proof :rolleyes:

Make sure you don't turn it on, (sounds like it's too late for that though) and take it apart, clean it throughly. I wouldn't have too many hopes for the camera.

11. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

There's no paint on it, I cleaned that off right after it happened. There's just a small amount inside, and the camera is only hazy, not not working. It's still under warranty...

12. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hate to break this to you, but it's no longer under warranty. Pay $199 for a replacement.

14. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It'll be the paint inside that's causing the problems. And as someone else said, warranty is now void. So either open it and clean it, live with the fuzzy camera/broken speaker, or pay for a $199 replacement.

15. Badfoot macrumors 6502

So what colour is it now ?. If ok maybe submit as a suggestion to apple for a new model ?

16. MAJE5T1C macrumors newbie

Just take it apart 3g is very easy to do clean out the paint and buy a speaker and camera from ebay speaker costing around £3 new camera only costing around £8 phone fixed for £11 jobs a gudn

17. physigory thread starter macrumors newbie

The camera and speaker are working just fine now, I guess iphones can endure a lot.

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Do NOT use paint thinner! I'd either use the phone as is and be content with
    its limited abilities or as another suggested, pay the $199 and get a new one.

19. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

Then paint thinner isn't necessary. Considering that your warranty is now void, if I was you, I'd take it apart and use a moist toothbrush to remove any remaining paint. That may get it working again.

Good luck!