I dropped my iPhone 3GS 32GB in paint.

physigory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Today at work I dropped my iPhone in paint, the screen and everything is working fine except for the speaker and the camera --- help?

physigory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
There was submerging, it's completely clean now except there is still some paint in the holes, the headphone jack is working fine, I think that the paint is pushing into the jack though to disable the speaker, the camera is foggy.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Get some mineral spirits and a toothbrush or toothpick and have at it! Good luck! :)

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Too bad you didn't have the 16Gb 3Gs, those are paint proof :rolleyes:

Make sure you don't turn it on, (sounds like it's too late for that though) and take it apart, clean it throughly. I wouldn't have too many hopes for the camera.

physigory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
There's no paint on it, I cleaned that off right after it happened. There's just a small amount inside, and the camera is only hazy, not not working. It's still under warranty...

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
There's no paint on it, I cleaned that off right after it happened. There's just a small amount inside, and the camera is only hazy, not not working. It's still under warranty...
It'll be the paint inside that's causing the problems. And as someone else said, warranty is now void. So either open it and clean it, live with the fuzzy camera/broken speaker, or pay for a $199 replacement.

MAJE5T1C

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Just take it apart 3g is very easy to do clean out the paint and buy a speaker and camera from ebay speaker costing around £3 new camera only costing around £8 phone fixed for £11 jobs a gudn

physigory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
The camera and speaker are working just fine now, I guess iphones can endure a lot.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Do NOT use paint thinner! I'd either use the phone as is and be content with
its limited abilities or as another suggested, pay the $199 and get a new one.

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Oh, and the paint is water-based!
Then paint thinner isn't necessary. Considering that your warranty is now void, if I was you, I'd take it apart and use a moist toothbrush to remove any remaining paint. That may get it working again.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.