I dropped my iPhone 3GS while the headphones were in

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BarryWray, Oct 9, 2010.

1. BarryWray macrumors newbie

It was a lovely day and I was sitting down and reached over to grab my favorite little iPhone 3GS, being clumsy me, I dropped it...right onto the cold hard ground.

The drop was only a few feet, if you want specifics, around three and a half? Sadly, I had my headphones in the phone when I dropped it. Now, I didn't see exactly what part of the phone hit first, but I believe it was on the headphones jack. So, I picked it up, saw no physical damage, made sure it still worked, but when I went to put it on sleep, nothing happened. Clicking and clicking it wouldn't work. Then I tried the volume buttons, and the silent button, still, none of them worked. Thankfully, when I tried home, I was brought back to home.

I browsed around, searched up the topic, and saw that this may be because a certain cord becoming loose or damaged. That may be the problem, because the whole entire phone still works. And, since the headphone jack was probably hit with some force, something must have come loose.

So, my questions are: Why isn't my Sleep/Volume/Silent buttons working? If the problem is because of a loose cord, is there any way to open up the phone without causing further damage? And, if the phone is damaged, does anyone know a reliable store to purchase the items needed? Could I exchanged the phone if something more serious has occurred?

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The sleep/volume/silent buttons don't work because they are all integrated with the headphone jack cable, into one single ribbon cable that plugs into the logic board. If the cable is loose, none of those will work. You can open the phone using a guide on ifixit.com or something, and seeing if the cable has become disconnected.

3. BarryWray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'll look into this. If anyone else has any other theories or who knows what. Go ahead and post.