I dropped my iPhone 4S in the toilet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Karkizzle, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Karkizzle macrumors newbie

Okay, so yesterday morning i was running late so i accidentally dropped my iphone 4s in the toilet and i looked in the toilet and my phone led screen turned on so i saw the unlock screen turn on then dim. i reached in and pulled it out and towel dried it with toilet paper. The flashlight on it was on and continued to stay on after i put it in the rice. I finished getting dressed then ran downstairs and put it in a Tupperware bowl filled with dry rice.

I came home from school and pulled it out and threw away the rice and brought my phone upstairs then tried to turn it on. It didn't work. I plugged it in to charge it and the only thing that worked was the flashlight and the led screen did not turn on. I did homework to pass the time and it got hot (on the back) so I put it under my pillow (being the genius that I am) I thought it would help dry it out. A few minuted later I pulled my iphone out from under my pillow and It was REALLY getting hot. when i pulled my hand away from the iphone my hand was sorta wet and I didnt think much about it. I tried turning it on again and the flachlight only came on but this time it was very very dim and the glass protecting the cameras was getting fogged up and lettle droplets of water were sticking to the inside of the glass. I thought that it was still drying it out so I just let it stay plugged in. A few minutes later it started to cool down and the flashlight was barely able to be seen. About half an hour later I unplugged it and went to go and blow dry it off. It didn't work so I plugged it in for a few minutes and when dinner was ready I unplugged it and put it in my pocket.

After dinner (when i was doing my kitchen chore) I put it in a ziplock sandwich bag with more dry rice and let my Iphone set over night in rice.

When I woke up this morning I took my iphone out of the rice and tried turning it on. I figured it was dead so I tried plugging it in after i picked the rice out,but it didn't turn on still. Not even the flashlight turned on this time. I got advice from a friend to put it in the oven at 350 with the cookie sheet upside down and I'm not sure if I should try it, give up or take it to the apple store. Please help me!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Basically, you didn't let it dry all the way and then you fried it because you kept turning it on. Before you bake your iPhone, take it to Apple. It is not covered under warranty but may be covered under Apple Care + if you purchased it when you bought the phone. I would also inform Apple it was dropped in a toilet so they can take measures (wear gloves) before handling your phone. It is courtesy, but up to you if you care about general hygiene. It won't change the outcome of the service you receive.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

As a courtesy I would scrub the outside of the phone with 91 alcohol.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok so you may have destroyed it completely... But I little while ago I was able to fixes some ones phone that was in the washer. Try holding the home button and the sleep button. But this person had let it dry for days and days you not so much so it may not work but worth trying. And whatever you do don't try and cook it cuz that's the most stupid thing I ever herd.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Trying to turn the phone on and then charging it while it was not fully dried probably damaged it.

You're most likely going to end up buying a new phone.

6. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Patience People!

It's all over the web. Rice works. But leave it in there for a couple of days. I can imagine it's hard leaving the house a couple of days while your iPhone is in a bowl of rice, but patience is key here.

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

What is key here is to NEVER turn the phone ON after it's been in water. It's an electrical device. It's not water-friendly and the circuits will short out when you turn it on while it's still wet.

And something being "all over the web" doesn't mean it's a reliable fact, although the rice treatment is widely recommended by many (but NOT after turning wet phones ON.) It's not a miracle cure.

8. osx11 macrumors 6502a

I know I've had several friends and family members in this situation and unfortunately it's a normal instinct to immediately check to see if the phone still works.

9. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

My guess is you will now up grade to a 5. So sell that puppy on CL's or E-Bay and get what ever you can for it.:confused:

10. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Don't heat the iPhone in an oven.

I would definitely say DO NOT put your phone in the oven. There's a serious risk of fire with the battery in the phone.

Again. Don't heat you iPhone in the oven - you may start a fire, or have a small explosion.

11. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Bake it in the oven at 350º for one hour than kiss it good by,:D

12. itricks.org macrumors newbie

itricks.org

*eat it good buy :D

13. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

You did a huge mistake by turning it on and having it plugged in. You basically destroyed your phone. My iPhone fell in the toilet, but I had AppleCare+ and got a replacement since they have two accidental incidents applied to it. I just paid $50 to get my replacement phone. Next time be careful where you keep your phone. I learned my lesson and my phone NEVER goes in the bathroom (the first time it fell, I forgot I had it in my back pocket, I usually always keep my phone on my bed).

14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I think your phone was a goner from the minute it hit the water and the lights were on and stayed on. The thing that gets electrical devices isn't really getting wet, it's having electricity going through them while wet and causing short circuits. Since the phone was on and stayed on during this entire sad adventure, sooner or later it sounds like the electricity and water met and fried your phone. lelisa31p is right. Alas, I think you have to get a new phone.

I keep my old iPhone after I get a new one. It's my cheap insurance plan. If something happens to my new phone, I can just ask AT&T to turn off my new phone and turn back on the old one. Then I wait for the rest of my contract and buy an even newer phone at a good price. Please notice how eager the carrier is to get their hands on your old phone. There is a reason for that.

15. iPhoneAntidote macrumors newbie

Definitely do not bake your iPhone.

Your best bet would be to put it in rice, or if possible buy Silica gel and put it in that (the little packets that come in beef jerky and shoe boxes, etc).

You should really be as patient as possible though. It would be in your best interest to put it in the rice/silica and forget about it. Wait 3-4 days before even trying it at all, and then give it a test after that.

It is unlikely Apple will help you out on it, unless somehow your water damage sensors were miraculously not tripped (pretty unlikely). When it is obviously water damaged, they will want you to pay $199 (I believe), and then they can give you a new device for it (still an iPhone 4S).

Hope this helps a bit!

Ryan

16. Sceptre macrumors member

The funny thing is, after using my new N3 for 2 months, I want to intentionally throw my 4s in the toilet. :)

17. greenmagic macrumors newbie

My friend dumped (no pun intended) her phone in the toilet while it was on, not once but twice!! Two separate occasions, and both times the immediate power off and rice for 24-48 hrs worked magic.

18. RhondaP macrumors newbie

iphone 4s in toilet!

My grand Daughter dropped my iphone 4s in the toilet. I had heard to not turn it on and to place it in rice. She handed me the phone. I dried it with my shirt quickly. The phone turned off by itself I guess because I did not turn it off. I grabbled the white rice that we had and just place the phone in the bag of rice then frantically searched looking for advice! Many said to not put it in enriched rice or to put it in a sealed bag or bowl with a lid and ect. Many said to try and use a q tip to dry it out the best you could. I did not do any of them things. I dried my phone with my shirt ( I didn't even shake my phone) and threw it in a whole bag of rice. I searched for help and many people said leave it in the rice for at least 24 hours or longer. I left mine in the rice without bothering it ( that was the hard part) for 2 1/2 days. It happen Monday around 8pm and I did not check it until Thursday until 11am. I cleaned out what rice I could see before plugging it in to charge. I finally plugged it in and waited..it never did anything. I was heart broke. I decided ( thank god) to just leave it plugged in and go to the store ( crying). When I came home I looked at my phone and it was WORKING! I HAD ALL OF MY PICTURES! everything worked..my sound, internet, FACEBOOK..just everything! I am so happy and I wish everyone knew bout this....I hope it works for everyone too! Patience is the MOST important part of it and trust me..it takes patience and a strong will to not touch your phone ( lifeline)!!!!

19. magilla macrumors regular

"... usually always..." is that like "seldom never" or "a little bit pregnant"?:rolleyes: