I dropped my iPhone... Going to Apple tomorrow so what should I expect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkimbro0316, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Hey everybody,

I obviously ran into a big problem. I was sitting down in my third block class at school in the middle of the day when my iPhone just basically fell out of my jacket pocket. It was in it's case and everything but yet it fell down and onto the screen side, so when I picked it up, the entire bottom half of the screen was cracked and completely covered in scratches and cracks. Now, I understand that if this has occurred, this is considered "accidental damage" and should not be covered by Apple/AT&T and I'm fine with that I guess, but what I don't get is how certain people have actually gone into an Apple store with the same predicament and walked out with a brand new iPhone for free!?!? What I'm asking for is for your experiences at the Apple store if you had the same problem as I do right now. Did they charge you 200-250 bucks or did they give you a brand new phone free of charge? I really would like to know this information by tomorrow afternoon so I can know what to expect when I go for my appointment. Also, I did a search on this forum but nothing of real use came up so don't worry, I'm not one of those people who don't even bother to search! lol

2. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Never heard of anyone given a brand new phone for free for dropping it.

4. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Apparently you've never heard of Steve Jobs.....

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I would say $399/$499 depending on which one you have.
    Or I read your post wrong...

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I'd expect to pay full price. Somewhere around $500, if it is only $200, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

7. manhattanmania macrumors regular

my story may give you hope.

i dropped my iphone in the toilet 2 days ago, and it completely submerged in water. i grabbed it out, washed it off, and everything was working... except for the screen. (i could put my headphones in and use the button to stop/play, use the volume rocker, sleep button, etc etc) anyways, did a little research here and by calling apple... i had the 16GB, one person told me $299, but another told me $499 bc it was water damage.

blah blah, went to apple store soho in nyc around 830. told them i dropped it in water, guy said uh oh and that he'd check to see how much water damage there was inside. he comes back out three minutes later and says "welp, i dont see anything! you lucked out." and im like... really? he's like "yep, i dont see anything." he proceeds to process everything, gets me a brand new iphone, hands me the paper, to sign, bam, $0.00. absolutely free. i have no idea if the water sensors really didn't go off or if he was just doing me a HUGE favor, but i walked out of there w/ a brand new iphone for FREE. i was ecstatic and thanked him a billion times, because the thing was fully submerged for a good few seconds.

good luck!

8. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Try out your luck, and if not I'd say go with a glass repair... might cost considerably less.

9. Aurial macrumors 6502

I may be mistaken but wasn't there a thread on here a week or two ago where someone dropped their iPhone and broke the screen. They took it to the apple store and the Genius gave them a free replacement. Lots of people were complaining on here because they'd had to pay for replacements. Anyone else remember this thread? It was definately on here recently.

There were lots of people calling for the head of the apple employee on a spike as I recall.

10. sako94 macrumors regular

hey man i recently ran into the exact! same problem and i have an appointment sunday hopefully apple will be nice and replace but were just gnna have to wait and see btw honesty is the best to go with them they dont like bs stories and etc (did my research haha ) alright good luck man

11. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

He'll have to pay 200.....

12. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

The reason you got a new phone was because there was nothing VISUALLY wrong with your phone, and he couldn't PROVE that it had water damager or any other damage.

A cracked screen is a bit different unfortunately, so this won't be the case.

13. TheMBC macrumors 6502

How so? Unless he's upgrade eligible (or has an original iPhone, are they still doing that?) isn't it the "early upgrade price?" Or is that for repair?

---

There are two water detectors on the iPhone 3G.

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Wow you sir are really lucky then.

On my previous visit at my local Apple store, I did overhear while I was patiently waiting for my appointment, the guy who brought in his cracked glass on white iPhone had to pay $200 to get it replaced. That's how I knew that $200 was really the "price tag" but it may depend on the circumstances as what others are saying.

But then again, you can't complain if it's free.

15. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

That's the price they charge for repair. Typically they will give you a refurbished phone and send that one out for repair, and charge you $200.

You're right about the water detectors. They're on the bottom of the iphone near the charging port. The guy above got lucky, and for whatever reason they obviously didn't show RED and were still WHITE. So, without any visible damage... he got his returned. This guy will not.

16. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear this.

Can you tell me what kind of case you had on it. Hard case, silicone, etc?

Thanks

17. manhattanmania macrumors regular

water sensors inside the iphone.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

There is a water sensor inside the headphone jack, turns pink as soon as it's in contact with water.

I think there's also a few inside the iPhone that you can't see.

19. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

There's another in the doc connector port. It's crescent shaped and on the back side of the doc port. I'm almost sure there are additional sensor's inside of the iPhone as well.

As for the OP, you may luck out. Some Genius' are nice and will give a replace free of charge as I've heard stories on these forums and you may not be so lucky and have to pay for a replacement. Good Luck.

20. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Well, I got mine replaced for free because of a tiny ding in the corner...obviously something had to come into play like that certain Genius got lucky the night before ;)

I mean I had a problem with it not responding, when free or connected to power, but the Genius got it to turn on, but gave me a new one anyway, hence getting rid of the scratch.

That was at the Apple Store in Danbury, Connecticut.

EDIT: This was without AppleCare too. :]

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Nice. I can't find it on my phone lol..

O well, good to know however.

22. KristenHumphrey macrumors newbie

i cracked my screen too. but i found a local repair store called Dr. Cell Phone. they did the repair in under an hour for $99. very professional. i was satisfied. i think they do a mail-in service as well. here's their website just in case you guys were wondering: www.drcellphone.com

23. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

When you tell them you dropped it in water they can accept that as proof without having to use the sensors.

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yes I remember the thread you speak of.

I think he was just being a nice guy because the he (the one who posted about it) was honest.

25. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, it's tough to see. You usually need a strong light source (iPhone 3G only FYI). It's not obvious either, quite hidden and very small up in the doc port.