I dropped my Macbook last night... =(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selsabeela, Jan 27, 2008.

1. selsabeela macrumors newbie

and I opened it right away to check if everything was OK, and it was.. the only thing I noticed was that all my sticky notes were gone and it was acting like I never used it before, you know with those help stickies to tell you how to use it.. of course I was super pissed because I had important things written on there like passwords and important meetings.. anyway so I got over it, turned off my computer and went to sleep..................

..........and this morning I turned it on to find that ALL MY FILES PICTURES MUSIC PRESETS BOOKMARKS ....EVERYTHINGGGG is gone!!!! :eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

What can I do?!?!? This is horrible I feel like my whole life is erased.. I mean ALLLLLLL my pictures for over a year, I deleted them from other locations because I thought this computer was never going to do this to me!!! I am flabbergasted!!!

*cries hysterically*

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Always have a backup
    2. Are you sure you're accessing your home directory?

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Your supposed to back up no matter what computer you use. It sounds like your HD might be dying. Go into disk utility and see if its SMART status is verified or not.

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Try restarting in Target Mode and copy what you can to another computer (if it's not too late).

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

You should have made backups. It sounds like you did, and then you deleted for no good reason.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

How would you be able to boot in but everything was magically gone? Something doesn't add up. Are you sure you are in the right account? A drop doesn't make "SOME" files disappear, its an all or nothing deal. Over time corruption can ruin some files, but it wouldn't delete JUST your bookmarks and photos etc.

7. selsabeela thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't really get it, I mean let's just say everything is gone, but the only files still on there are a folder that I had made on the desktop and kept a few miscellaneous photos and files on... besides that ONE file, everything else all other folders are gone and or empty...

8. selsabeela thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it says smart: verified.... so does that mean it's dying and it'll lose more things or what,, what should i do now.. =(

9. selsabeela thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wait here's an correction, my programs such as Word, Adium, Firefox, ect things i installed are still there

10. selsabeela thread starter macrumors newbie

I never made any backups

11. Galapp macrumors regular

at this point there isn't much you can do =\
    next time make backups...

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Time to start with the backups. Get an external. Carbon Copy Cloner. Tell it to sync drives each time the external's plugged in. Easiest way to do this. You can also get 2gb of free storage from Mozy, and use that to sync your most important stuff. I've got it tied to my schoolwork folder.

13. wentwj macrumors regular

This doesn't make sense, MacBooks aren't etch-e-sketches. If your operating system files are there, your other files should be too. Are you sure you aren't logged in as a different user for whatever reason?

I find it VERY hard (read: impossible) to believe that all of your operating system files remained intact, yet all of your MP3s, and files and things disappeared. Have you made sure your files are gone? For whatever reason my girlfriend thought she lost all her MP3s, but her iTunes library just got directed to a different folder somehow.

14. AndImAPC macrumors newbie

Return the Macbook and get a Windows XP Pro notebook instead. Much more reliable (do a search), and as a bonus the case isn't full of data-destroying magnets.

15. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Can I get a WTF?

16. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call Windows XP more reliable than OS X, but maybe thats just my opinion.
    And this person's too.

If you have leopard, use Time Machine. You need to keep a backup.

17. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. WTF

18. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I don't see a problem. You dropped it and it didn't break. Be happy :)

19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

He lost data and photos, I'd be pissed too.

But being a sensible individual I have 3 copies of EVERYTHING important

Layer 1:
    MBP Internal 160Gb - System/Apps/regular files/films
    eSATA External 200Gb - Concorde+Photo Libraries

Layer 2:
    eSATA 500Gb - back up using Carbon Copy Cloner

Layer 3:
    Firewire 320Gb - using Chronosync

Done every week at minimum or when I come back from an important shoot.

Backups cost ~ £200 at time of buying (get the same for £100 now)

So cost isn't prohibitive when you have a £600+ MacBook with important files on it :)

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

lets stop saving our money by not buying an external back up hard drive. Its not worth if especially if you have a lot of important files (irreplacable pix, movies, music, work stuff, homework). Same reason you buy insurance for your car but you never get into an accident or anything happen for the life of the car.

Concorde Rules: I think your method is a little excessive for the average user. I use a single hard drive for back up using time machine, but I also have another external drive just incase the back up drive fails. The chances of both back up drives and internal drive failing... maybe when an earthquake crushes all the drives and laptop.

21. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Apple created Time Machine for a reason, one storage place is never enough if files mean anything to you.

We all learn lessons the hard way sometimes, sorry to hear though man.

22. weckart macrumors 68040

I smell troll, particularly after the "humorous" entry mid-thread but on the offchance that the OP is just unusually dim, try entering *.jpg in Spotlight to see if the pictures have not just been moved to some hidden folder somewhere.

What about Trash? Full? Empty?

23. gothamm macrumors 6502a

My theory is as good as anyone else's but:

maybe you computer is developing its own conscience as predicted in films such as iRobot. You probably pissed it off and it went ahead and deleted most of your important data. it has feelings, you moron :mad:

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try repairing the disk in disk utility. Also http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ might work?

25. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Has anyone got a link to where I can get Carbon Copy Cloner? It sounds like a very useful program.