I dropped my Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathyy, May 4, 2008.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

....but it seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. Kinda lost my footing while walking down some steps and fell onto the road, on top of my notebook. Fortunately it was in a thin cloth notebook case, which was inside my bag, and a couple of stuff sort of absorbed the impact.

The only damage I can see is a slight dent at the top left corner, and it the metal casing sticks out just a teensy bit on the top. Also, it doesn't seem to balance so well anymore though. The bottom left corner is evalated by about 2mm off the ground.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Other than that, I can't really find anything else that's wrong with it. Keyboard works, LED backscreen works, CPU still works as good as before, GPU still kicks ass, Hard drive is fine, all my ports still work, and my fans still spin as usual.

Other than the weird drop in temperature and minor dents, I don't really see anything else that should raise any alarms. I'm just lost at what I should do now, because I heard Apple charges a bomb just to replace the casing, and it voids my warranty as well. I'm covered by insurance, fortunately, but it seems pretty minor to claim insurance for...and I'd have to pay the first S$250 (aprox US$170) of the repair costs.

Also, regarding my Apple warranty, will they void it anyway whether or not I go to them to repair my case? I mean if I send my notebook to them for servicing if my notebook breaks down in the future, will they just say "You damaged your notebook, sorry." then void my insurance?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

you may have damaged a sensor in there somewhere...

all correct, and i don't think you should claim insurance... not worth it

yes they will, unless you can prove its not related

3. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The sensors arn't damaged because I can tell that it was running significantly cooler. But anyway hmm, temperatures are normal now...so I edited the post.

Well, yea...you're probably right. I still wish to get that freaking dent out though. Do you think if I bought a new casing for the bottom, it would look brand new and my AppleCare would be salvaged? It wasn't THAT bad a drop anyway.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It works. They aren't going to care about a small dent. Don't
    worry so much.

5. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm...would anyone advise bringing it to someone to bang the dent out, if they promise to be gentle?

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If it really worries you and your technically savvy. You can always buy a new bottom case from some online reseller, or buy a dead MBP of the same model and transfer the contents into the new case... I imagine a new housing will set you back anything from $100-300.

But to be totally honest, it's just a housing...

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

there are a few people who have gently hammered their housings back into shape...

Apple: How did you get this dent?
    Cathyy: I dropped my laptop
    Apple: Ok - $$$ please

8. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

MBPs really like dents in that area ;) mine has one, too

9. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh well...spent the last 2 hours gently tapping the back with a spoon, hopping to bang it back into shape. Didn't completely succeed, but it's not as bad now. :)

10. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Well, when i took my MBP in for service, and i was out of warantee, the genius documented all of the dings and dents on my Mac. When the computer got back, the dings were all gone. I got a whole new bottom casing... And as an added bonus, it cost me damn near nothing considering the sheer ammount of work done on my MBP and considering it all cost me $330...

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

each genius does different things, some are kind and helpful
    some not so much
    depends on store/country...

12. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

gahh.. I wish they would have done that with mine when I had mine in for service.. =/ at least they put it back in shape a bit ^^

13. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Although I am just as anal as the next guy when it comes to my laptop, and its condition, you made out well with your drop and shouldn't worry about it. Mine was in a luggage bag, and when I was leaving a hotel it dropped on the ground. I got a dent just like yours, but it was where the powercord connects to the laptop (note: mine is pre magnetic power cord). Now whenever I connect my computer to the power cord, I need to make sure that it is in the proper place, which is quite infuriating. Well, at least my computer works...

14. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

15. mcsynk macrumors newbie

When a 'friend' pulled my G4 PB off a desk onto our tiled floor it bent the casing in the corner quite like how you describe. A little more seriously though I think! Warranty was long expired and the thing still works and it looks nice and rock n roll now.

I had an idea about the temperature thing though. When my casing had a wide crack between the bottom and top panels I got the impression that it was cooler than normal near the hole, but that other parts of the laptop were really hot and the fans wouldn't stop. I taped up the crack (even more rock n roll baby!) so that air couldn't leak in and I think that helped the ventilation work more like it should.

peace and love
    Peter

16. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

My powerbook g4 12" was damaged in the same way but it was the front right corner. I managed to bang out the dent with a hammer, being extremely careful not to make it worse. It took ages, as I took the laptop apart first so as not to damage other components, but worked out in the end and you can hardly see the damage at all.

17. TaylorB macrumors regular

Thats great that it didn't give you performance problems. I still think it would be smart to get it inspected just to make sure that this incident doesn't lead to anymore problems. I would be nervous approaching Apple about it though, all of my experiences with them were that they like to make things a big deal, but thats just me.

18. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Quite a Trade-Off: Beauty vs. Ruggedness

Is Ruggedness a word ? Anyways you know what I mean.

This seems to be a common thread topic. Laptops are meant to be on the go and we want to have cool looking laptops. I believe the MB and MBP are some of the coolest looking rigs out there but they don't take a smack well.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't they will provide service. My notebook has a dent in the same exact spot. They will provide my support.