I drowned my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simonjones88, Aug 8, 2009.

1. simonjones88 macrumors newbie

Well, I've done it again....managed to drown a second apple product, this time with a little less luck.

Some may remember my previous mishap with my macBook
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=632207

Luckily the macBook survived and to this day is functioning fine!

Last night at work (i work in a bar) i managed to soak myself in water, which soaked through my trousers into my pocket where my iPhone sat!
    It was soaked, the camera was all misted up and the earpiece/Sensors weren't working.

I took it apart and dried it all out (voiding the warranty i know, but the water had done that already!) and it worked again just fine....except the 3g data had given up!! I had 5bars on 3G network but there was no real bandwidth and more often than not the connection would just fail with no explanation!
    I took it to the apple store and they informed me that it was water damage (confirmed by the 'secret' litmus paper in the headphone port turning red.)
    I was instantly offered a replacement at £139, which i'll be picking up next week!

Ok, so i killed it and need a new one, but i must applaud Apple on this one...a new/refurb (depending on stock) for a fraction of the price. I was panicing thinking i'd need a £550 replacment.
    I'm guessing they will harvest remaining usable parts to put in other refurb units, hence the reduced price.

Thank you apple :)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, that's called an "out of warranty" replacement, which they do for water damage. It's good this OP wasn't the typical water damage post we see on MR.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

N.B. I'm pretty sure "OP" refers to the actual person making the post, i.e. Original Poster. At least that's how I've always read it. No?

4. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've used both in both contexts. No need to wax poetics though. ;)

OP: sorry that happened. You and liquids don't mix.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, whatever. No big deal. Just the first time I saw it used this way and it got me curious.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Normally, I'd just snip the post, but I was on my iPhone at the time and wanted to limit the bandwidth as much as possible. So, sometimes by the time I get my post up, someone has posted before me and since he had a fairly long post, I didn't want to attach it. Anyway, using OP, which I've seen used both ways, works best so there's no confusion.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Memo to self, never let simonjones88 ever use any of my computer stuff.:D

Sorry it happened.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

At least the OP didn't drop it in his toilet. :rolleyes:

That seems to be a going trend these days.

10. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Every time I'm pissing and using my 3GS I always hold it off to the side of the toilet so their is no possible way of dropping it in.

The only thing I'm ever slightly worried about is dropping it, and some how reflexively trying to grab it and end up knocking it into the toilet anyway.

I'm fairly confident I'll be alright ;)

11. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I'm right there with you, i have an appointment to get my wife's white 3gs replaced because it slipped out of her pocket into the dogs water bowl :confused:. At least its only $199 :eek:

12. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Wait a sec? You opened your 3G and didn't think about taking out the water damage sensor? In my iPod touch 2G it looked like you could replace it with a normal piece of paper.

13. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I was quite surprised when the apple store employee told she was knocking $50 off the 199 replacement cost for my honesty about the phone being damaged by water. She said you wouldn't believe all the people that try to fool them because they don't know about the water sensor.

14. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Wow, I had a problem that I can guarantee was NOT due to water damage. The apple genius said I would have to buy a whole new iPod (this was before my iPhone) for $229 and its not covered at all. Just because the sensor was tripped (and I knew it was there) I had to buy a whole new iPod, not the $119 that it should have been.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Everyone with an iPhone seriously needs to read this. I originally read this on MR by another poster who suffered water damage. About 1 month ago, my wife dropped her phone into a toilet. She pulled it out immediately and tried to use it. Everything on it was still working, but it could not receive any calls. And when she called me, she I couldn't hear her and she couldn't hear me. So, I took the advice of another on here and we put the phone into a bag of rice and left it there overnight. The next day, it was fully working again! Knock on wood, it may decide to die at anytime. But, at least it's fully working right now.