I dunno what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gnarlyhogie, Mar 19, 2013.

1. gnarlyhogie macrumors newbie

Alright so I'm getting my macbook pro tomorrow, replacing my old windows laptop, though I would dip my toes into something new. Currently I'm a Comp. Engineering student, so I know I can't get away with just os x, I'll need to install windows 8, but I'm going to try to get away with what I can on it. What is the best software, best tips, best fresh-outta-the-box-first-thing-i-should-do things that you guys can offer me?

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

First out of the box??? Check for updates and install said updates.

----------

Also, you could find a battery status app (I use Coconut battery). Install some cool apps like gFXStatus (control your graphic cards), memory status apps for refreshing your cache, etc.

If you're installing Win8 you should decide if you want to be able to boot into windows from start using BootCamp, or use a virtual machine, look to Parallels or VMWare Fusion for that option.

3. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to do BootCamp, I got the 1199 macbook pro, so I'm not sure how well it can virtualize windows, besides I want to do some win phone programming on it so I'm definately not sure if I can do a vm in a vm.....which now I want to try.

4. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

If you upgrade it to 16GB of RAM you should be able to virtualize it with no probs.

5. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

So you got a MBP 13" ? Did you get a SSD? That could be one thing to do to get aquainted with your machine :-D. Pop it open and upgrade the standard HDD

6. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

At first I was going to go on a mini rant about how I'm a college student with a barely any budget blah blah, but then I realized that I just bought a macbook and I should **** because apparently I dont have that bad of a budget problem and its one that I can upgrade! I'm going to look into that, even with the dual core 2.5 hz processor it will be fine?

----------

No I didnt, I actually have one in my old laptop, but it's a 128 gb and it's almost full with one os as it is, i guess I have to go back to hdds for a little bit, *sigh* i feel like such a peasant....

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I agree with the RAM upgrade. You should be able to find Mac compatible RAM, 16gb for $50 or so, I did for my 2011 15" cMBP.

Also, a 256gb SSD can be had for as low as $130 if you're looking out for a good sale. Save your pennies!

8. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Just spend some time learning to use the Mac as is before tearing it apart upgrading it. If you have 8 GB of RAM, you can do virtualization no problem. Heck, it will even run ok with 4GB of RAM if you're not using very demanding software. Worry about upgrades later when you've used it for a bit and know what limitations you're hitting.

I'd also check out the case thread. If you're a college student, you'll probably drop the thing 20 times in a month. Just try and keep the beer out of it. :)

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

RAM is "cheap" and adds amazing benefit. It's one of the best upgrades you can perform post purchase. WEll, unless you buy a retina, then you are stuck.

10. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah I already bought a case for it, a hardshell one that stays on it all the time, just seems more convenient. And the ram I'm not going to do right away, I have other stuff thats more iimportant at the moment, I'm just going to keep an eye out for sales though.

----------

anyone have any good software suggestions? Because I've tried looking at some, and there seems to be a lot of software i've never heard of

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Plug in the computer, push the power button.

There's nothing else you need to do, this isn't Windows.