I edited on FCP but need to deliver HD video to a client on a PC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lumenus, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lumenus macrumors newbie

I just want to deliver the HD footage in any format that can be edited on a PC using Premier Pro.

How do I do this?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

So you plan to edit the video and you want to send what? (1) A finished show that he can play on a PC or (2) raw footage so that he can edit it again on a PC or (3) you want to collaboratively edit the raw footage pass files back and forth. 1 ans 2 are easy. 3 is nearly imposable.

I think you need to describe the proposed work flow better. But as you said "deliver the HD footage" I'm inclided to suggest that you simply send the raw files as they came from the camera.

3. lumenus thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to output to a file that retains the the "HD" and can be loaded up into premeire pro on a PC for a re-edit.

The client does not want the raw footage because of the type of footage it is.

4. cpcarrot macrumors member

OK, again unfortunately not quite clear what you want but I can see three main possibilities

a) You just want to give the client the end product that you have already edited in a format he can then play with on a PC. No biggie just export using Compressor and pick one of the many file types that are PC compatible. Get your client to choose which format he would prefer
    b) You want to give the client all of the footage you have shot but in a different format than what you have it stored in. You can again cue these up in compressor and simply batch convert them to an acceptable format.
    c) You want to give the client all of the footage AND the edit you have already created. This should be as straight forward as doing a batch convert as per b) and then exporting your Final Cut Sequence as an EDL (Edit Decision List) file. That said I’ve never actually done that and I’m not sure if changing the format of all the media is likely to mess things up. The only time I’ve done a move like that the media was kept the same and there wasn’t any real problems.

In terms of what format you should use. Your best option is to ask your client. It is very dependant on what codex’s he has on his PC and what he actually wants to edit in. Last time I had to give footage to someone working on a PC he wanted it in MP4 format so just used the MP4 default settings in Compressor and it worked fine.