I expect this sort of thing from Google, not Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VulchR, Apr 20, 2011.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The following is a link to a BBC news article that claims the iPhone keeps a log of user position and downloads the data in an unencrypted format to the computer connected to iTunes. Apparently this is in the Terms of Use, but still it smacks of Big Brother. And I don't like the fact somebody could access this file.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13145562

2. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

If someone with an agenda has physical access to your computer and it's not password protected to prevent it being used, you're in a bigger world of hurt than someone knowing your positions and downloads.

3. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sorry, but to me this sort of covert but unsecure log of user location is as offensive as Flash's LSO's ('super-cookies'). It'll proably be only a matter of time before this gets used as evidence in a divorce case. I have nothing to hide in that regard but keeping such information is unnecessary, and a threat to privacy. Seriously – what's next? digital picture logs? One could get a boatload of marketing information that way as well, but I doubt many would be comfortable with that.

I suppose the sole good point about this is that it might help to resolve issues regarding calls made on the border between countries, where I gather inappropriate roaming charges can be an issue....

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I hate to break the bad news to you brother, but the government(s) (yours and mine) have been tracking us, our movements, spending habits, etc. LONG LONG before the iPhone started to.

The only thing new about this is that it was found on the iPhone. Notice they didn't say how new it was that you were being tracked?

5. Gugulino macrumors member

Gugulino

Why does this Apple? This data is useless or uncovered until now. Nobody used it. So, why Apple tracks the position in a log file?!
    Could this be the reason why the iPhone battery drains so fast? It seems that it turns on the GPS fairly often. When you have Google Latitude installed on iPhone there are already two "apps" that access the GPS and it seems that Apple's "app" is accessing the GPS also when you don't move, indicated by the huge dots on the graph. Hmm, strange thing :confused:

6. naths macrumors 6502

This is a massive invasion of privacy,who the ****** do they think they are!!!!...apple should be renamed big brother....stinks....u can stick your poxy phone right where the sun dont shine!!!:mad:

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You know your carrier tracks you too and keeps logs of where you are based on cell tower triangulation? And many other phones track you as well? Its nothing new and has happened for a long long time. Its simply news because its Apple.

As for "massive invasion of privacy" I simply cant agree. There is no more information gleaned from this as there is from street cams watching your car go by.

8. naths macrumors 6502

I know we are the most watched nation in the world here in the UK,it will only be a matter of time untill some bright spark of a lawyer will use this.

Surely the carriers can only track you by triangulating the signal?,seems to be that the iphone is sneakaly(excuse spelling) using the GPS and logging your position every second of the day??

The next thing on the horizon will be mobile phones recording every single call we make and logging those to,then that will be bad...

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm sorry, but I am truly laughing at the ignorance of some thinking that Apple is the first to track movements of the phone. How dare they!

You've been tracked LONG before this by your cell carrier. Even before smartphones existed. Got a toll tag on your car? License plate scanners? Use a credit card? Sheesh people, wake up.

But is it really Apple thats tracking it? Your phone keeps a log of where you've been, it syncs it to your computer. But thats it. So is it really Apple tracking you? Or is it just a log of where you've been?

Want to stop being tracked? Easy enough. Don't have a cell phone. Stop using credit cards or debit cards. Don't drive on toll roads or drive on roads that have any type of traffic cameras. Etc.
    Go analog boys.

10. victorvu macrumors member

it's nothing new. when you use a cell phone, or any digital device for that matters, you should already know your privacy is already compromised. "they" listen to your phone calls, emails, texts, search strings, etc. whether you want it or not. what you could do about it? well, just obey the laws, stay out of trouble and move on with your life. if you must do something illegal, choose some third-world countries, where those surveillance technologies are yet to take place.

me? i couldn't care less apple saves those location log file on my phone. only if apple comes to my house, takes my iphone away for no good reason, now we have a problem :D

11. naths macrumors 6502

im going to text the word gaddafi a 1000 times...bastards!!!...:p

12. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Guess what: if you don't encrypt your backups, people can access your texts, photos, app data, phone call logs, voicemails, autofill data, calendars, notes, bookmarks, voice memos, and Safari history.

Lesson: Encrypt your backups. Also if you don't want your location saved...you can disable Location Services system-wide or per-app in Settings.

BTW, your carrier (and the police) have been able to triangulate your location on every cell phone ever made since the phone has to ping the cell towers every 5-10 seconds to stay connected.

13. naths macrumors 6502

but they can only record the position if they are actively looking for a certain number...

14. drummr, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Apple does something good - They're late/have copied it.

Apple does something bad - They're the only ones doing it.

16. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They're too busy laughing at the people wearing the tinfoil hats.

18. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

LOL!!!!....Post of the day!!!!

19. leykis101man, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

leykis101man macrumors newbie

Time to break out the tinfoil hat!

Is the name of the super computer where this info is kept "THE BEAST?" ;)

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Just move in a cardboard box under a bridge and stay there until you die. They won't have a clue where the #%&$ your at anymore.

21. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

The DB contains cell tower information not your location, don't believe every news story you come across.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is one thing that our government REQUIRES the carrier do this for law enforcement, but this is APPLE doing this.

There is a difference and Apple owes us all an explanation and the choice to OPT OUT!:mad:

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but YOU are wrong!

Turning off location services does not stop the iPhone from STILL recording you location and time at that location. This IS the deception that you think you can turn it off.

This is not the carrier doing this because the law enforcement tells them to, this is Apple recording this information for their use. We have no idea what happens when we log onto iTunes or what information that Apple is collecting.

I am not saying that Apple is running a conspiracy but it could be used for profit for just advertising purposes.

They simply owe us an explanation.

24. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wait... you expect this from Google?

Apple fanboy or just mentally challenged?