I experienced my first "Wow... Flash is bad..." today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Random Gecko, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Random Gecko macrumors member

I had 3 HD videos open on my MBP on YouTube in three separate Safari tabs and noticed one of them starting to chop up as the other two loaded. Switched to dashboard to look at iStat Pro and noticed the CPU usage absolutely going through the roof! Shocking really. The heat was pretty mad too. Same three videos in HTML5, no problems, and only small movement on the CPU usage. Only problem is lack of 480p and full screen.

I've checked out Clicktoflash but I can't seem to get YouTube vids to play in H.264? Any help there? I have it selected but they seem to just open in Flash?

2. thecarrot macrumors member

Why would you ever want to have 3 youtube videos running at once? There's no point in doing that, sorry.

3. Batman101 macrumors member

Why bother replying just to tell other what they are doing is pointless?

To OP: how about trying another browser, like firefox, chrome?

4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Full screen HTML5 video playback is coming soon, if not already in use in some places by now.

Part of it is browser support, the other part is the "player" wrapper made with HTML5-whizzy-buzzword features.

Apple just demoed its new web streaming tech for the music event, and it seemed to work really well all things considered.

Google may put stuff out there as a "beta" for 3 years, but Apple likes to wait until at least basic functionality is solid, and then adds to that functionality over time.

Patience, young padawan.

5. thecarrot macrumors member

Because its a pointless thread and we don't need threads like this clogging up the boards, nothing good can come out of it. Sure my post isn't that much better but you need to understand I'm replying to his own post, the full damage had already been done by just posting the topic in the first place.

Furthermore, I'm curious as to the OP's reasoning for trying such an unreasonable task.

6. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

Clogging up the boards?!?! Im sorry. I was under the impression the point of a forum was for discussion. I don't understand how people asking questions and sharing information is clogging up your precious boards...

Relax. Take a breath...
    Talking about the "damage" that has been done... wow.

You don't know his reason for having multiple videos open. He also said OPEN, not playing. According to his story, the other two were LOADING.

Lets all learn to read, and in the process calm down.

7. thecarrot macrumors member

I'm calm as can be, sir. You are correct in stating that forums are meant for discussion, but there is a line between useful posts and posts that should not have been made in the first place. This post falls in the latter category. I would like you to come up with a reason why his post is useful...it brings nothing to discuss and will only bring up arguments, as evidenced by your post. Thanks

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It makes perfect sense to me, I usually have several videos open at once so that others can load as I'm still watching another. No point having just one open and always waiting for a new one to load. Not everyone has to do things your way. :rolleyes:

9. gpapava macrumors member

I cant get clicktoflash play youtube videos in H.264 either. I would appreciate some help!! By the way flash just kills my weak G4.

10. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

Pretty sure he asked a question that, so far, has gone unanswered. That would be one reason for his post.

11. thecarrot macrumors member

Ok fine maybe I could understand having 1 open and 2 loading...but then I'd have to honestly point out that the likely culprit is his browser. Google chrome is far and away the fastest browser when it comes to YouTube viewing, with firefox being nearly as good. Another thing I would like to know is his computer's specs, because if your computer cannot handle 3 videos with only 1 actually playing thats a processor/RAM problem more than anything else. Either way his post is fairly useless because it A) Do nothing but spur argument and B) He did not provide enough details.

12. thecarrot macrumors member

Ok cool I'll answer it then..Not all YouTube videos support html5 and thus will not work properly with it. If absoutely need to load 3 videos at once I suggest keepvid.com which will let you save the vids to your comp which you can then watch later.

I would also like to suggest this link: http://www.youtube.com/html5

13. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I didn't quite think it would cause this kind of discussion...

I had three videos open, with one that was playing, muted, one paused and one I was watching. One was 720p, the other two were 1080p. Browser is Safari. Specs? Brand new mid-2010 13" MBP.

I didn't say the computer couldn't handle it, it was in the process of "handling it" but having researched Flash/Mac posts on this forum and a few others since earlier today, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably not alone my Mac not being the most Flash-friendly machine in the world. I loaded up a 720p YouTube video in the normal flash player earlier on and watched iStat Pro as it played. Then I did the same with the equivalent HTML5 version and got 30% less CPU usage, which I thought was pretty significant.

I switched to HTML5 earlier on - as I said in my original post - with no problems. Same videos played fine, with hardly any budge on the CPU stats from idol. Is Chrome honestly that much better than Safari for YouTube etc? I always use Chrome on Windows but for some reason seemed to gravitate toward Safari once I switched to Mac.

As for Clicktoflash and h.264, I actually came across this link - http://math.northwestern.edu/~hoyois/safariextensions/clicktoflash/ - which installs it as a Safari extension, allowing you to open the videos as h.264, as a Quicktime video. Works a treat.

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Flash on OS X is pretty poorly done. You're far from alone.

15. brianfast macrumors regular

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My MBP runs good with YouTube HTML, it works for 80% of YOUTUBES on my MBP, you should try it :D