I Feel Bad About Leaving My Job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thecritix, Jun 18, 2009.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I'm writing this from work just to compound my guilt, but will work extra to make up for it...!

I've never asked for advice here before but..

I'm on 2nd out of 3 years of a popular music degree (BMUs)

I hate it, it's rubbish, the course is badly run, uninteresting and basically a money making scheme for the courses founder. (It's affiliated to a university so gets a student loan but really is a private organisation)
    So I want to leave but had to find a job.

Last year I bumped into a group of people in the pub who saw my guitar case and needed a musical knowledge for a project they were running.

They were/are a web development company who once my music knowledge bit finished saw my skills on photoshop/dreamweaver and extended me on a content managing role.

I love this role, it's great and I've done it all year while studying at uni still but.. I want to leave and I needed more than the one day a week they could offer me so I applied for other jobs, I just got the first one I interviewed for, and first I seriously applied for. £21k, private health etcetc. (I'm currently on what would be £25k but only 1 day a week)

My boss has been excellent, amazingly flexible, my colleague has been really friendly teaching me lots, covering for me if I've had to leave early etc.

I would love to work here full time but its just not possible and in some respects its not a lively environment and I feel I've grown to the top of the greenhouse (I can't do lots of the stuff they can but it would take years to build flash/design/building knowledge like they have and it's not my ideal to be a flash designer.

So, I've taken the new job and offered to do this on weekends or in the evenings but they don't feel it would be practical and I think they're hurt.

I've tried to explain that its just that I need more work but I feel I've let them down, people who've been great to me.

I'm thinking I will buy my boss a nice box of Cigars when I leave and my colleague something also, does anyone have any ideas how I could say how grateful I am and to better explain my reasons?

Thanks for suggestions

Nick

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't really think you have anything to be sorry for.

Everyone is out for themselves, including your boss and colleagues.

You're moving on, it happens.

3. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the one area of my personality I'm really weak on, I love negotiating, debating, arguing, everything! but I hate either getting rid of people (bands I've been in) or leaving people (like this)

I always throw myself fully into something so (although I've been the junior member of the team here) getting out of it and watching that ship sail off is difficult and I feel very low right now!!!

I'm obviously excited for the new job but do feel I've let people down (not least my parents when they find out I'm not going back to Uni)

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I wouldn't feel bad. Your situation has changed and you need more hours than they can offer. That's reason enough that they should be accepting and happy that you've found another opportunity.

You offered to continue your work, but it sounds like they're unwilling to accommodate your new needs. You've done all you can - don't worry too much about it.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Don't feel bad about it. A lot of times it is the people that we work with that we miss when we move, however, you do have to look out for yourself and make sure you are able to work to sustain YOUR LIFE.

If they tried hard to get you full time work, etc. etc., then yeah, I would feel bad. :p