I feel bad for Nokia.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The General, Jun 22, 2009.

1. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Ah, the irony.

But i must admit ( nokia user from europe ) :

This looks awful, geesh.

Happy, i switched to a 3 G , i just love the phone.

Paper tech specs <----> User friendly !

OMG, Symbian looks like stoneage.

2. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

I remember when this phone was announced and people on this same site were saying Apple is finished, lol.

3. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

The N97 is an amazing piece of engineering, just like the iPhone and this post is just like with everything extremely biased toward apple products without seeing how amazing other products are.

Nokia has always made absolutely great phones and this one is no different. If it wasn't for the iPhone i would be holding the N97 right now because.

Saying thats its pathetic is ignorant and just plain stupid, because it is an achievement in its own rights.

4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

[​IMG]

The caption reads:
    All About Symbian is covering the launch live, though it looks like there isn't much chaos and bedlam outside the Regent Street store -- maybe it has something to do with that other flagship store reflected in the window?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At least both of the speakers on the grille work on the Nokia. :eek: ;) :D

6. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I ordered one on saturday for about 500 bucks and today I received an email from nokia stating my order was canceled! :confused:
    I guess I'll have to keep my 3Gs :D
    their customer service in the US is absolutely horrible

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Hahaha!!! WOW Lmao:p

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Did you watch any of those videos? Just wondering.

The Palm Pre I can get behind, but some of the stuff they demonstrated there was just beyond sad. How many times did he have to tap the mail app before it finally responded to his commands?

9. The General thread starter macrumors 601

No, it's a steaming pile of dog feces.

Did you even watch the videos and see how horrendously impossible to use it is?

[​IMG]

No! Stop, that's ignorant! You're being ignorant! The N97 is good, quit being ignorant!

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

HAHAHAHA!!!! I just saw the video! HAHA:D:p

Im not going to lie, if its not an iPhone, i wouldnt buy it lol.

BUT, thats just me. Its like once you go to an iPhone you can never go back.:D

11. svndmvn Guest

I'm not a Nokia fan, the N95 has never interested me, the N96 was still the same, pretty much, and simply overpriced here in Europe and a bit of a flop..the N96 is mostly a N95, which was breakthrough 2 years ago, not now, with a sliding KB, bigger resistive touchscreen with a better resolution, that's it.
    If you NEED symbian there are other devices offering better hardware, they claim:)

12. charltonx macrumors member

If I didn't have an iPhone I would probably have gotten the N97 also. The N95 was a lovely phone, N96 not so much and the N97 does look very nice.

Edit: I said this before I saw the video.

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

It's sad, it really is. :eek:

The part thats even worse is if I lose or break my iphone i won't be able to use anything else. :eek:

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

And to think I thought this would be THE phone to get. I almost bought one since I was growing tired of my iPhone 3G, but after seeing that video/review I'm glad I went with the 3GS. The browser, while much more feature complete than the iPhone browser, looks way too sluggish and just down right annoying. I could also see myself getting annoyed at the touch screen as well.

Maybe next time Nokia? :eek:

15. Matti macrumors regular

There's plenty of things to critize on S60 UI, but that video certainly isn't the correct way.

1. He tries to answer the phone by tapping the screen, even though there is a big and animated arrow that show how it is supposed to do.

2. He switches the edit widgets mode on and adds Facebook widget. There's a big "Done" button at screen which he should push to exit the edit mode. Instead he ignores it and tries constantly to log on to Facebook, and of course gets edit options.

3. To choose text for copy & pasting he should drag his finger over the text he wants to copy, instead he keeps trying to choose it by tapping at the start and end of text.

4. He has chosen and high lighted a email folder, but keeps pressing the screen on the wrong spot. You can actually see the the "touch ripples" on the video and how he keeps pushing the wrong part of the screen.

To be honest, I don't expect much from a Engadget article anyway. That article is written by two two people. One is clearly a Nokiafanboi who gives Nokia too much slack. The other one is just a complete idiot, not that anyone should have to be extremly smart to use smartphones, but whoever did that video shouldn't touch anything more complex than box of matches.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Will be interesting to see what Nokia can do next year. Is it fair to say they previously haven't really done too much in the US?

17. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Nokia and others are stuck thinking its about hardware when its about the software.

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, it's unreasonable to expect that touching anywhere on the visual representation of an e-mail would open the e-mail. One should naturally assume that only touching a small sub-area of that space is the proper way to do things.

Face it, the Nokia UI is unintuitive for touch.

19. Matti macrumors regular

Except that he doen't touch the email he wants to read.

No trouble facing it. S60 UI is bad for touch. However, that video is complete bollocks.

20. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

horses for courses, but to gain more functions on other phones you have to buy another phone, now at long last there is video on a 3gs. there will be no need to change phones, just software updates to improve an already fantastic phone. :apple:

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree it was probably exaggerated for effect, but one still has no trouble seeing that the OS just isn't constructed to be used with a finger. Nokia has some major rethinking to do unless they want to continue to fall further behind in touch interfaces.