Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You have got to be kidding (no pun intended) me!!! What has the world come to. I'm going to be in downtown Ann Arbor taking some street shots, an now I'm even more worried that I'll get stopped. But back on topic, if was this guy, I would have told the women to mind their own business (in a ruder way) and continued shooting. If they called the cops I would have just told them the truth, that they were my kids.

Don

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
That's just ridiculous. So this means that if a kid has his/her birthday party in a park, the parents can only take pictures of them?

"Mommy, why don't I have any pictures with my friends at my birthday party?"

Seriously, this is getting out of hand.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
things like this are happening everywhere as people become more and more concerned about their privacy. its a shame really; because a lot of it is getting to the point of being ridiculous out of slight fear.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
things like this are happening everywhere as people become more and more concerned about their privacy.

I don't think that is the problem. The problem is that the gutter press has convinced the idiots out there that anyone who points a camera at a child (even if it's their own kid) is a paedophile.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
This blows my mind because it's something that I never even would have thought of if I was in that guys shoes. Crazy!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would have told her that I was taking photos of my own kids, and that technically, if I was so interested in other people's kids, I would be legally entitled to take photos of people in public.

Then I would have asked her which child was hers.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Seems ridiculous on the face of it, and hard to believe.

However just to play devil's advocate - pretty much every one that's posted here has immediately jumped to a single conclusion, possibly without knowing all the relevant information. So that's pretty much the same sort of thing those "other parents" in the story did. :p I'd be interested in knowing why those other parents made (what appears to be) such an odd assumption.

Matiek

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
It should also be noted that once he was confronted he promptly replaced his NIKKOR AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR w/ an 15-55 lens.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I don't think that is the problem. The problem is that the gutter press has convinced the idiots out there that anyone who points a camera at a child (even if it's their own kid) is a paedophile.

While paying people to hide in bushes to capture celebrities in private situations, hopefully with their breasts out/picking their nose/with the 'wrong' partner/dressed as a nazi and being spanked...!·-i-·!

**** off would be the correct thing to tell her;)
I've been questioned a few times about taking photos in public, and it's always easier to be polite and honest; if they're the kind of person who'll still kick-off faced with courtesy they're the kind to kick-off extremely when faced with your reaction.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I have been questioned at the beach while shooting surfers once... Lady with a group of handicapped children who showed up and started playing in my field of view toward the ocean. She stated that she has called the cops on men before. After offering to show her my pics and explaining, I had to move down the beach anyways to avoid her glares and suspicion even though I was there first.

In the US, it's my understanding that it is not legal to take photos of minors under age 18 without written parental consent, even if the child does consent... :rolleyes:

The real problem is the sick friggin pedophiles.:mad::confused::cool:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...The real problem is the sick friggin pedophiles.:mad::confused::cool:
Yes pedophiles are a problem, but in the story you just told the problem was the woman's attitude and paranoia. Which in this instance was 'real' the pedophile or the paranoia?

Austin21

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Quite ridiculous I must say. It is rather sad that people suspect you to be doing 'wrong' things if you have a camera. *shame shame*

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Quite ridiculous I must say. It is rather sad that people suspect you to be doing 'wrong' things if you have a camera. *shame shame*

Dunno why people spend upto $4000 on a camera?:confused:
I for one wont spend $4000 to be called a 'pervert'!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
There has and always will be people who are interested in children for the wrong reasons. The problem society faces is the paranoia whipped up by the media.

Parents are no longer able to let their children outside to play alone - its dangerous.

And as approx 90% abuse is inflicted by a person the victim knows - being at home is probably not the safest place

http://www.childhelp.org/resources/learning-center/statistics

I came back to edit in agreement with dextertangocci and Silver-Fox and tell them to F**k off.

I would have also told them to call the police and ask them to explain, if they were still there after I'd told them to "F**k off"

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Dunno why people spend upto $4000 on a camera?:confused:
I for one wont spend $4000 to be called a 'pervert'!

The real question is would someone really spend that much money on a cmaera for that purpose? I'm thinking not, but then again the general public would probably not put that much thought into something before flying off the handle.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
almost funny. i got nearly arrested when i took pictures of birds at a water reservoir in the boston area. somebody had called the police and reported me for "terroristic activity". the police man was fortunately quite ok. he told me to stop and leave. but he took all my info. he seemed to be as pissed as i that he had to do this. he avoided saying that what i did was illegal because it wasn't. he just wanted to resolve the situation quietly. i was on a visa and that could have kicked me out of the country. needless to say that pics of that reservoir at exactly my position were on the city website anyway.

american really suffer from paranoia.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.