I feel betrayed by Apple.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dangerly, Oct 2, 2013.

1. dangerly macrumors regular

This is the story.
    One month ago (3rd of september) i bought a refurbished iMac (27" i7 1TbFD 680MX 8Gb ram) for the price of 2299,00 euros. It seemed to me a good deal.
    Now the same machine on the refurb store sells for 1999,00 euros. 300,00 euros less than what i payed!

Am i right to feel betrayed by Apple?
    I should have waited to see if Apple was going to update the iMac, as it happened.
    Now the top of the line iMac, new, sells for 2578,98 euros. About 100,00 euros less than the previous top of the line, new.
    Well, i feel betrayed twice.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, you are not right to feel betrayed by Apple

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Remember when the iPhone came out? I forgot the original price but I think it was either $499 or $599. Then apple a while later cut down the price.

5. rpenzinger macrumors member

Return the unit

See if Apple will take back your old unit and then buy the new one.

The old adage still stands "Buyer beware!"

6. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

Betrayed by Apple? I'd say you're betrayed by a lack of common sense.

7. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Very unlucky, however reading about rumours - details about haswell, stock shortages, discounts etc. should suggest that new line is coming out.

8. Hamburger macrumors regular

looks like you were aware that there would be updates not too far away.
    so you may have waited. but then again, you were probably very happy when you got your refurb mac. so why don't you just be happy with it instead of lamenting your fate. there will always be something new at some stage.

9. dangerly thread starter macrumors regular

That too.
    As i wrote in my post, i should have waited few more days!

PS: i am still very happy with the machine, big upgrade form my old 24" Core2Duo.

10. elvee macrumors newbie

Not sure why you'd feel betrayed.

If you know enough to venture into these forums and the MacRUMORS website, you could have done your own due diligence and figure out that one month ago was not a good time to buy.

Sorry, but the only one to blame here is yourself.

11. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

You win some, you lose some. But to feel betrayed by Apple sounds very strange to me. They haven't promised you anything so there is nothing to betray. Unless you've redefined the word betrayal.

12. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

You shouldnt feel that way.
    That computer you got now is a very good computer.
    You should have known a new imac model was about to come. I expected it.

Why i waited was because i was unsure if a gtx780mx card would come (notice the x at the end.)
    If i knew the new model was the gtx780m (notice lack of x at end) i would have bought an imac a month ago.

I bought an ipad 3 for my wife when it has been out for half a year..
    one week later they announce iPad 4. That made me quite pissed to say the least.

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Wow... Seriously?

There are any number of far more applicable words than "betray" to explain what you're feeling.

Furthermore, FFR:

RED DOT = DO NOT BUY

MacRumors.com Buyer's Guide

14. MeUnix macrumors 6502

No, you said it yourself. You should have waited. Apple (typically) releases new versions of their products in the beginning to middle of the year, as well as late in the year, hence the price drops recently.

Edit: You still got one hell of an iMac though, so there is a positive ;)

15. omeletpants macrumors regular

Newsflash: prices change

So, what if you buy something then the company raises the price 3 months later. Do you go back to the store and give them more money?

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

17. violst macrumors 6502

violst

Have you called apple to see what they would do for you, I'm sure if you contacted them and explained your situation and your unhappiness with the situation they would try and accommodate you in some way.

Before you complain about the situation try and rectify it with Apple and if they still don't help then you should complain in the forum.

Whenever I had a problem apple has been more then great accommodating me the best they can.

As a matter of fact there were so great once they upgraded my 20 inch apple cinema display to a 27 for no charge. Now that my friends is customer satisfaction.

18. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

That's all you need to know. You paid a fair price for an excellent machine. Enjoy it in good health.

19. blanka macrumors 68000

All I can say is I would get the 1999 refurb now. Way better deal than the 2600 on the current model. And you got yourself a machine that is a hair slower than that 2600 machine for 300 less. Good deal isn't it?

20. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I too was an idiot and bought the iMac on the 6th of September, knowing well that a refresh was on its way any moment. Since I'm a student, I couldn't help myself but go after the free $100 gift card on the Back to School promotion, which expired literally the next day.

The iMac arrived on the 11th of September (a terrible day in history!). Funny thing is, almost EXACTLY 14 days later, the new iMac refresh gets announced. Unfortunately, since I wasn't following up on Mac news, I was two days late learning of the refresh and therefore a day late to return.

One call from Apple however changed that. And they gladly accepted my return of my 2012 one to the new 2013 one.

Like suggested, try giving Apple a call first. I'm sure they will try to make things right and make you satisfied. Although, calling one month after your purchase is going to be a hard shot. The only thing I'm dissatisfied with was how unknowledged the Apple customer service person was. She had no idea what I was talking about when I told her about the new iMac refresh that just came out. :eek: