I feel like a new Mac user!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mtngoatjoe, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

I feel like a new Mac user! Everything is familiar, but everything is BETTER!

I upgraded from an early 2006 MBP (CoreDuo) to a late 2012 iMac 27" i7 with the 680MX and 1TB Fusion drive. Talk about a change! I haven't added more RAM yet, but I will in a year or so (I busted the bank, and it will be a while before the Home Finance Minister approves any more hardware expenditures).

The only bummer was that it took over 6 hours to transfer the 330+GB of data from my MBP to the iMac. I don't know if I had any right to expect it to go faster, but I was bummed that I had to wait a day before I could start using the iMac.

The MBP has Snow Leopard, and this is my first experience with Mountain Lion. I REALLY like it! I'm also enjoying the latest version of iPhoto (especially on the HUGE screen). Oh, and I really like AirPlay mirroring; very cool!

The MBP was usable, but I was to the point that everything was painstakingly slow. I could make calendars in iPhoto, but it was hard. I could edit HD video in iMovie, but it took forever. The spinning beach ball was a constant companion.

I bought an LG 14x USB 3 BluRay drive to go with the iMac, and all told, the iMac is ripping DVDs about 8x faster than the MBP could! 30 minutes instead of almost 4 hours!!! I'm interested to see how long a BluRay disc will take.

Does anyone use the Magic Trackpad along with a mouse? I'm a righty, and I find that putting the mouse on the right and the trackpad on the left to work pretty well.

Another question... My movie library is on a USB 2.0 drive. Does anyone think this will slow performance when watching movies via AppleTV 3? Things are much faster than they were with wireless G, but I'm wondering if they should be faster?

Anyway, I just wanted to boast about how great this machine is!

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

Yeah, I share your excitement about the late 2012 iMac! My 21.5" 2.9 Ghz model is screamingly fast and well-put-together.

I've been spending so many hours playing with Mountain Lion, and I've not found a change that I don't approve of or actively love yet.

Do you have a model # for the LG Blu-ray drive you use? I have a substantial Blu-ray library I'd love to start digitizing and making accessible to the Apple TVs throughout the house.

3. mtngoatjoe thread starter macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

Take a look at the LG - 16x External USB 3.0/2.0 Blu-ray Disc Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive SKU: 6697151

I could only find it at Best Buy. Regular price is $150, but they had it for $125 the day I bought it. It's a nice drive; the picture makes it look like the case is metal, but it's plastic. Nice looking plastic, but it's not metal.

I haven't tried burning a disc yet, but ripping a DVD was easy with Handbrake.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

congrat!!! imac is the BEST of all apple product.. ENJOY!!!!!