i feel like a prat..

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
ok, so i was just about to start a topic about how bad my imac g5 is, and how slow it is, and then i realised what i'd done.

i'm posting here to warn you - NEVER PUT YOUR COMPUTER ON REDUCED PROCESSOR MODE. i did it last night to keep the imac a bit quiter overnight. i've been using the computer incredibly slowly the whole frikkin day..and i've just realised.

just wanted to post to tell you not to make the same mistake. and if you do have to do it, for gods sake put a post-it on your computer! :eek: :)

/end of feeling stupid post..
 

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2005
413
0
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
how do you put it on reduced processor mode???
does tht make it quieter when its erm sleeping?
I put mine on sleep, but the noise was too much, so i shut i down, if it being quieter with this helps me keep iton all nite then id do it, and make an auotmator thingy to do this, and to make it full processor mode again,,,,,
if i can do that ,, im still a mac newbie
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
StokeLee said:
I put mine on sleep, but the noise was too much, so i shut i down....
What kind of noise is your computer making when it's in sleep mode? Is the fan still running? That's strange, if true.

The reduced processor setting is in System Prefs -> Energy Saver -> Options, at the bottom, labelled "Processor Performance."
 

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,093
0
Sydney Australia
Yeah - quite an intriguing post. When you put a computer to sleep, everything stops - well on mine they do... Maybe you mean just putting the monitor to sleep? But still, your Mac shouldn't have its fans on just sitting there.. :confused:

aussie_geek
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
If the computer is still "too hot" when put to sleep, the fans will run to cool it off, but that'll only take a minute.
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
reduced processor mode is a great idea when operating solely on battery power

duh!

if its on highest, watch your battery run dead in 2 hours
 

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
903
2
Cambridge, MA
I've gotta say, I've been switching modes on my iMac g5 rather frequently recently. Reduced is nice when you want to leave it on, but only for doing low level tasks. Mine, at least, is silent, after it's been sitting in reduced for a few minutes.

When I play a game, I set it to high. For normal use it is at automatic.

I did fire up Warcraft III once w/o switching from reduced. Wasn't too pretty...
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Phatpat said:
I've gotta say, I've been switching modes on my iMac g5 rather frequently recently. Reduced is nice when you want to leave it on, but only for doing low level tasks. Mine, at least, is silent, after it's been sitting in reduced for a few minutes.
So if you set it to automatic, is it not smart enough to do this for you? That's kind of annoying. I know people have commented that the automatic mode is not smart enough in the other direction either -- that demanding apps will run noticeably faster in highest than in automatic.... :rolleyes:
 

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
3,038
30
Salt Lake City, UT
jsw said:
If the computer is still "too hot" when put to sleep, the fans will run to cool it off, but that'll only take a minute.
At least on all three of my Macs, this isn't true. Sleep shuts the fans down right away, even if they were running full blast when I told it to go to sleep. This makes sense, because as soon as the processor is shut off, it's going to start cooling down, with or without fans. It can't get any hotter than it was right before you shut it off.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
mduser63 said:
At least on all three of my Macs, this isn't true. Sleep shuts the fans down right away, even if they were running full blast when I told it to go to sleep. This makes sense, because as soon as the processor is shut off, it's going to start cooling down, with or without fans. It can't get any hotter than it was right before you shut it off.
Well, I won't be shocked if my Rev A G5 PM isn't working perfectly, but there are times when the fans run for a short time after sleep is induced if the system was running quite hot beforehand. Like I said, though, I'm willing to believe this is abnormal behavior. No other issues, though, so I won't worry about it.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mduser63 said:
At least on all three of my Macs, this isn't true. Sleep shuts the fans down right away, even if they were running full blast when I told it to go to sleep. This makes sense, because as soon as the processor is shut off, it's going to start cooling down, with or without fans. It can't get any hotter than it was right before you shut it off.
This is also what my iBook does.