I feel like an idiot... I just ordered a Macbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Degradable, May 17, 2008.

1. Degradable macrumors member

I just ordered a high-end macbook for university (and my birthday, 31st of May ;) ) well I say I ordered it, my mum did...

Anyway - I'm off to uni in september, but now I keep seeing how the Macbook should be updated in june!?!?!?!

Is this the worse decision of my life to get the macbook now, when I go to uni and see the updated ones with all shiny metal - and I've got a plastic one...

Someone tell me I haven't made a huge mistake buying the Macbook now? Should I cancel the order...?

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

If you want to cancel the order, cancel it, and wait. No matter what you get it will eventually be obsolete. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you will never purchase anything.

The update probably won't be that major. What you ordered should be fine for a few years.

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'd cancel the order. Not only may it be updated, but when you get to uni, you can take advantage of the student discount and get a big percentage knocked off AND at some point over the next month or so, Apple start a promotion where you buy any mac and you get a free ipod!!!

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Actually, regarding that advantage of student discount, you should be able to get that before your college starts, once your email address/ID number or whatever is issued.

6. gideondk macrumors newbie

I don't think we will see any updates on the MacBook exterior before September, heck maybe even not before the next MacWorld.

The current rumors state that the panel could be replaced, this could point at a new Intel Architecture update in combination with a new (maybe LED) screen.

The aluminum exterior on the MacBook Air is quite unique at the moment (also in the price range), so bringing out a cheaper aluminum MacBook will drive the sales down of the current Air. I think Apple will wait one year after the release of the air to refresh the whole MacBook line: New Macbook, MacBook Pro with Air-like exterior, new MacBook Air (faster configurations etc.).

By the way, June will be the month for the new iPhone... So Apple will focus all the attention (and our purses) and that product.

Nevertheless, the plastic MacBook is a wonderful product and you can play with it right away! And don't be afraid that you look less cool with your white MacBook (I personally think that the traditional MacBook design had a more Apple-ish feel then the Air) .

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fixed it for you. You probably should still wait, but the new ones will have rev A issues making it a wash, of course the new shiny one will be cooler...

No way, it'll be July/August, then they can get extra sales from the new case, and then in February/March they can get extra sales from the next major processor architecture from Intel which should give a significant performance boost.

8. gideondk macrumors newbie

You've got a point there, the problem is; I'm getting a bit sceptical about the "upgrade rumors" (they seem to appear every month) normally such big updates are announced at special occasions (they could always make one! :D)...

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Well there is a special occasion....WWDC....I think that's where they announced the all new Aluminium iMacs

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They only do "Pro" updates at WWDC though. The Mac Pro and XServe have been announced then, the only non-pro product I can think of was Safari 3.0 beta for Mac and Windows, but that was a "developer" release.

No, that was just a special event see this and the invite.

11. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

You made a mistake in paying for black plastic, but other than that, it was a good choice.

If there is to be an aluminium case redesign, you

1) Do not want the poorer wireless reception that will come with it

2) Do not want the flaws that will arise from it being a revision A product. The polycarbonate Macbook has been tried and tested over the last couple of years.

3) Will not be able to order the current one if you don't like the new design

4) Will not be able to use it between NOW and June 9th, and/or NOW and July/August

In Jesus,

GB,

12. Angrist macrumors 6502

CANCEL

Regardless of the 'upgrade' rumors, you should get the student discount and the yearly 'back-to-school' promotion. There's usually a discount/rebate on printers and iPods when you buy a new machine in July/August. The total savings is somewhere around $300 all told.

So cancel, wait until the promotion is announced, and purchase then. You may need to prove that you're a student to get the student discount. A school ID, email address, or acceptance letter should do it. Although honestly, it's hit or miss if they'll check or not ... just have your paperwork in place.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point on Student discount, also in the UK you get 16% off and 3 years of Applecare for £50.

14. Degradable thread starter macrumors member

Alright cheers guys :)

Once again MacRumors has saved my day :)

I'm sure my white macbook will do the job fine :D

EDIT: Im from the UK, so any American offers Apple do don't mean anything. And I've decided to not cancel the order, as I don't neeed a new iPod - I have an 80GB video ipod and as it's a birthday present, £100 cheaper isn't worth the month wait I don't think :)

15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yep :) I love the UK for that :D
    As soon as the free ipod offer starts, my order for a Mac Pro will be in :)

16. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Not true, he could wait and if he doesn't like it, could get a good discount on surplus older models via the "refurbished" store, though they would not be refurbished but extras.

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

UK here too.

You can order with the HE discount as soon as you get the formal letter of acceptance from your university. Might have to take it into an Apple shop along with ID. (or fax it in if ordering over the phone)

3 years Applecare is free, not £50. Some people pay £50 to get the free applecare upgraded to 'uplift'. I've completely forgotten what that means.

I advise buying it now too. The current MB is a mature, relatively bug-free product. If you haven't owned a mac before, you need to spend the next few months learning how to use it, getting comfortable with it etc before starting uni, where you'll have 484635 other new things to learn in the first few weeks.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why July/August? Why do people believe this without any substantial rumour? :confused:

I don't know why his mum bought a MacBook so far before September, but you'd figure that most people don't care.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You did see my post above yours? You get 16% off and a cheap 3 year warranty on the HE store in the UK if you wait...

The three year warranty is free but its not AppleCare so you may have problems if you sell the computer for example, and it doesn't include phone support.

Because Intel's next motherboard (Montevina) is being released in June, by the time it gets into manufacturers hands and the machines leave China it'll be mid July without delays, and these things have been delayed before, either by Intel having supply problems or Apple not jumping on board straight away.