I feel like an idiot...

kim6ball

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
I used my mac in a school presentation, keynote, and I felt like an idiot. I felt like some type of nerd and crap. The keynote thing had two different screens one was normal which i put on the projector, the other was in rehearsal mode which was on the computer screen. Is this stupid?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I used my mac in a school presentation, keynote, and I felt like an idiot. I felt like some type of nerd and crap. The keynote thing had two different screens one was normal which i put on the projector, the other was in rehearsal mode which was on the computer screen. Is this stupid?
What? Would you like to rephrase what you said so that it is coherent?

Comment

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Why would you feel like an idiot or nerd for giving a presentation? From your description, you probably are in middle or high school. The assignment was mandatory and you were just doing your work. I don't think you are going to get much validation from the forum members. Also, you shouldn't care what other people think. Apparently you are an Apple fan; have you ever heard their quote, "Think Differently?"

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
if you talked like how you posted, i.e., not making any sense, then yeah I see your point.

Comment

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
"Think Differently?"

think different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

from - http://www.inventionconvention.com/grammar.html

APPLE COMPUTER

Question: Are you aware that "Think different" is bad grammar? You should say "Think differently"!

Answer: Although some might want "different" to perform as an adverb in this phrase, complete with an "ly" ending, Apple and its advertising agency intend it as a fanciful category, just as we might say "Think yellow," "Think change" or "Think playful."

Here's an illuminating quote from an interview with George Gribbin, legendary copy supervisor of the Young & Rubicam advertising agency and creator of the ungrammatical but highly successful slogan "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should":

"The American language is a good, salty, homespun, colorful language. And it is that way because of the vernacular. There's just nothing like pieces of the vernacular in advertising, or in any other kind of writing. It's not just using the vernacular, it's using the color of the life around you in a fresh way."
Think vernacular. Think different.

Comment

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Why would you rather use Powerpoint...lol. :rolleyes:

Comment

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Yeah, it is very stupid, because it is so uncool to give Keynote presentations in rehearsal mode on the computer screen. Doing drugs and alcohol, on the other hand, is way, way cooler, like, dude!

But seriously, I always do my presentations with my screen in rehearsal mode because it allows me to look at the timer and the upcoming slide.

Comment

kim6ball

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Oh yeah, the other people in the group didn't know what was really going on because it was a mac, so, that felt kinda weird. I also accidentally clicked the slide during one of the other peoples speeches which is probably where my stupidness came from. Keynote is definitely better than powerpoint though.

Comment

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I haven't touched PowerPoint in years because of Keynote. The dual screens it shows on the Mac's screen are extremely helpful. The left shows what is currently being projected and time of day. The right shows what will be displayed after the next click and how long you've been presenting. This is very helpful when trying to meet a time deadline. Keynote is a far superior way of giving presentations. PowerPoint seems stuck in 1993.

Comment

angusslo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
and the PCgang probably took the **** out of your ass when you have finished presentation? well, go then, young bill, and join them. Apple kicks ass and keynote is waaaay better than powerpoint

 for life 

Comment

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Not my most constructive post but;

If you feel like an idiot; then you probably are.

If you don't like giving presentations using keynote that way, don't do it.

Comment

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Office has the same mode

I haven't touched PowerPoint in years because of Keynote. The dual screens it shows on the Mac's screen are extremely helpful. The left shows what is currently being projected and time of day. The right shows what will be displayed after the next click and how long you've been presenting. This is very helpful when trying to meet a time deadline. Keynote is a far superior way of giving presentations. PowerPoint seems stuck in 1993.
I have Office for Mac 2008 on my MacBook (got it for free from my school), and to my amazment, when I had a second display hooked and went to practice my Masters Defense, it went into the same mode as you all are reffering to with Keynote. It's a great feature. It showed me how long I had been talking, what was coming up next and had a spot for notes. So while I don't particularly care for Microsoft, Office for Mac isn't horrible and has a lot of the same features as iWork.

Comment

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I think you should've made a rehearsal before you give the keynote, whether your 16 or 45 it's good to try everything out before having 60 people in front of you, Macs are not nerdy! PCs are, here people rather think that you're a cool guy with a mac than with a random PC and as far as i know, teens are in love with apple products

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.