I feel like clear skins should be come the new norm.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LiquidDexter, Oct 3, 2012.

1. LiquidDexter macrumors newbie

Sure they are a pain in the ass to install, but in the end you get to enjoy your phone in all it;s slim glory AND still have it protected. I feel like a lot of people don't believe in the power of clear skins to protect their phones from drops.

That's totally untrue. As long as you have a side skin you are totally ready to go. It's a rarity you will drop your phone directly on it's face or it's back. If you do, most clear skins have some sort of shock absorption, so you're not gonna shatter your screen unless you really chuck the thing.

The most common drop incident is the phone falling on it's side. What sucks about those drops is it usually dent's or scuffs your aluminum side. If you have a clear skin, you can stop worry about that, because it;s literally gonna rebound off the ground. Your skin might come away with damage, but now all you have to do is peel that off and replace it.

Of course some people really enjoy the protection, bulk, and peace of mind that comes with most other case, but I think if you're on the fence about going "naked" you should consider a clear skin.

2. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

A standard skin will not protect your phone from a drop at all. That's like saying your shirt prevents stabbings.

3. kalexn macrumors 6502

I know it looks better but I still do not trust myself to only have the clear skin on and then drop it. I would much rather have a slim case on to protect as well.

4. LiquidDexter thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used clear skins on my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 and dropped them plenty of times. (My phone flies out of my hands a lot) Both of my phones are in pristine condition and have been quoted to fetch top dollar. I'm speaking from experience.

5. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Experience is great, but that's not how gravity and impact work. While you may have been spared from any physical damage, it is not a good reliable source for protection when it comes to phones or any gadget, really.

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I don't trust a skin to protect the iPhone 5's aluminum sides. It will easily dent and the power button could get jammed in and stop working. :eek:

7. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Lmao!!!! Hilarious, but good analogy.

8. Slightly Hyphy macrumors member