I feel like I should know this shortcut by now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Jul 13, 2011.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I've been using a macbook since 2006 and I usually use keyboard shortcuts, but I have yet to figure this one out. In a prompt - such as the one displaced when hitting the power button, there are a series of options. In the example above, there are 4 of them. 3 greyed out, one blue. The blue one is used if the user hits enter. if I want to select another without using the mouse, i.e. move the "blue" selection, how do I do this? Thanking you in advance,

Trevor

2. simsaladimbamba

TAB, then SPACEBAR (if the button has a blue line around it).

3. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've wondered about this too for a long time, but never put forth any effort to figure it out. Using Tab to move the selected button to another button (as Windows does) doesn't work on OS X, at least by default that I can see.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in dialogue boxes enter chooses the default glowing button and esc cancels it.

for the other buttons press control+fn+F7 (or in Keyboard preferences) to activate keyboard access in dialogues. then just press tab to highlight any button and and space to choose it.

6. GwoonTau macrumors newbie

Thanks, that works perfectly. Been wondering about this ever since I got my Mac!