I feel like I'm cheating the system

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoNoHarm, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

...Yet it's perfectly legal! So I traveled to Turkey with my new iphone4. Vodafone is having a sale here where adding unlimited 3g to your plan is only 7 lira or ~ $4.50 US. I went ahead and unlocked my iphone, installed MyWi and My3g.

I now have unlimited internet on both my phone and computer and facetime over 3g.

By the way, just for those of you who are curious, the rest of the plan is 500 anytime minutes plus unlimited land line and other vodafone customers for only 35 dollars. I could have picked the 1000 minute plan for $50 or the unlimited everything plan for around $75. But all I'll be paying is around $40.

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

3. joec1101 macrumors 6502

yea, but you had to travel to Turkey for it...

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a $30 grandfathered plan on AT&T in the US, but my company reimburses me for voice and data so the cost to me is $0. It's also jailbroken and I've installed MyWi so I can use the data connection with my Core i7 MBP (which the company also bought). If I at least eat a turkey sandwich tomorrow can I be considered as cheating the system also?

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Even though they are reimbursing you that amount, it actually is coming out of your potential salary as your company factors things such as employee benefits when deciding how much to pay you.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well, since you're on the $30 unlimited plan, that probably is actually illegal as you're not paying for tethering

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I don't know if it's different in the US, but here (Australia), there's no extra charge for tethering - it's just counted as data.

8. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I have a secret to tell you

>_>

<_<

I'm tethering right now

shhhhhh

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Not only do they charge you, they make you downgrade from unlimited data to 2GB/month

10. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Yes, it's different in the US. As far as I know, tethering isn't an issue outside of the US. No extra charges are incurred any where else in the world. Of course, all "unlimited" data plans are subject to "fair use" policies, which varies across different telcos.

11. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

On the bright side AT&T doesn't have, or atleast enforce, a "fail use" policy so getting the unlimited plan and hacking it to enable tethering is literally the greatest thing ever.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

For those of us who have unlimited that's awesome. I could understand AT&T adding a $30 or so tethering fee. But paying $25 for 2GB of data and being told you can't use it to tether is unfair. You're paying for 2GB, you should be able to use it in any way without restrictions. AT&T = Losers

13. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

2gb is nothing anyway you would blaze right through that in a second

14. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

yeah, with my podcasts alone, I've already used 700MB in one day. By the way, my GF is also using the network my iphone has set up.

15. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

I only use around 300MB per month (without tethering). I must not be using my iPhone to it's full potential then.

16. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Yes, you are absolutely right, if HR keeps tabs on every expenses incurred by a staff. However, some companies don't have such strict accounting policies at the individual staff level, and basically, the expenses are pooled across the entire company. i.e. the boss' new company car is being paid for by everyone in the company.

Secondly, this may not be billed under employee benefits, but under operation costs, if the purpose of reimbursement is for the employee to communicate with the company and other clients while on the move. This is common for mobile workers, such as auditors or the sales force.

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You're right, it mostly depends on how the company is run. But that cost is likely coming from somewhere.

As for your earlier statement, try downloading a music streaming application such as Pandora or a video streaming one and suddenly your usage goes up by a lot. :p

18. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Incorrect, at least in my case. This isn't offered as an employee benefit. As part of an IT dept the decision was made to provide mobile data to the technical team and mgt escalation as a means of providing more rapid response in the event issues arise. In the most basic sense it's a win/win scenario where admins in my group don't have to stop what they're doing to drive in or go back home to fix an issue and the company gets faster response. They only get contacted a few times a year but in our business, it's still worth it's weight in gold to have them available if needed.

HR simply doesn't have access to the information. It's my budget and I work directly with finance. No offense, but hour HR dept wouldn't have a clue how to decipher the IT budget.

BTW - This isn't all that uncommon a situation. They used to provide me with a Sprint Myfi, but I chose to go this route and not have another device to charge up.

19. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I was obviously talking about usage with tethering

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Cool :apple:

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Thanks, now I'm hungry. :(

22. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Against the terms of your contract isn't ILLEGAL. Illegal is breaking a law. That a level of government enforces.

I really wish people wouldn't throw that word around when it has no place being used.

23. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Here, fixed that for ya. :cool:

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D