I feel like it's 2002 all over again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Dec 7, 2007.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

because recently I have had to deal with:

multiple crashes
    hardware that doesn't work like its supposed to and needs to be rebooted constantly
    buggy software
    pointless restrictions on what I am allowed to do with stuff I bought.

It was all those things that convinced me to switch from Microsoft to Apple, and now they are making me seriously consider the switch from Apple to Linux.

I am no Apple dilettante, in the past 4 years, I have bought:
    1 book g4
    1 powerbook g4
    1 powermac g5
    1 macbook 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa
    More music and tv shows off the iTunes store than I care to count
    2 iPods
    1 shuffle
    1 airport express
    1 iPhone

I also work in IT in an all mac environment(7 of them are on my desk)

But it is the last 2(plus Leopard) that are really making me consider seriously switching to Linux.

The airport express has done nothing but crash every couple of hours, and when it does come back up, Leopard doesn't read the airdisk(the reason I bought the stupid thing) correctly and I need to reboot my computer as well. Isn't Microsoft supposed to be the one with tons of reboots? Also, I'm far from alone on this problem and yet Apple seems to be doing nothing about it. No firmware updates since August, and it doesn't appear we will see one to fix these problems anytime soon.

And of course, no comparison with Microsoft would be complete without mentioning that Apple is pointlessly crippling how I can use my iPhone. Not even that concerned about locking, what I am upset about however is the terrible video syncing options. You are not allowed to sync video playlists, if you try to sync more shows than the iPhone has free space, instead of just syncing some random ones(like the shuffle did years ago if you tried to load too many songs on it) it just gives you an error and refuses to load anything. Furthermore, since you for some bizarre reason cannot drag files to the iPhone(like you can for almost any iPod before it) its IMPOSSIBLE to get a specific TV episode on it without resorting to 3rd party tools.

I fell in love with iTunes and its simplicity, but for whatever reason Steve's ego trip has turned that simplicity into an exercise in frustration. I will not continue to give a company money just so it can spit in my face. That is what Microsoft did to me, and if Apple keeps doing just that, then I will no longer buy ANY of their products. They have 6 months to correct these issues before they will no longer get a penny out of me. And since I am in the position to recommend products at my work, that will go for there too.

It's 2007 Apple, time to go forward instead of backwards.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have only had a few issues with my airdisk. he whole airdisk drop out and required reboot. Over the past year that I have had it set up I have only encountered this issue twice.

We all know Apple is planning to release the SDK for the iPhone due to popular demand. I can't see how your iPhone problems would convince you to more to linux. Seems like a silly reason. IF the airdisk issues bug you that much why not switch to a LAN set up. An ethernet storage drive would be ungodly faster anyway.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

First off, I have an AirPort Express and nearly never reboot it. Well, just when my sister won't get off the computer and I unplug the AP from the other room and she thinks the internet went down or something and gets off.

It's been said that Apple's quality control is going way down the tubes. However, ever Mac product I've bought in my life (iMac Core 2 Duo White, iPod Touch, iPod nano (my sister's), iPod shuffle, AP Express) has had no issues. The only major issue I had was my 3-year old iPod Photo's hard drive dying out of warranty, but I'm not sure that Apple is the one to fault for that.

Anyway, if you were a smart buyer, you should've already known that Apple is known for "locking" their software, putting restrictions like you said in iTunes, etc. Maybe you really should just stop using Apple products; it doesn't seem like you're enjoying them.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My AirDisk dropped out during thanksgiving and I couldn't get it back to working over the AirPort again.

I posted on MR asking for help, but that thread got 0 replies.

I decided not to deal with it and just moved the HD to my desk. I plug it in when I want to use it.