Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Maybe I'm just being a little too observant, but i just feel like it takes a longer to open word or powerpoint and even when navigating files, i feel like i see lag. My macbook pro is a 2011 model. Im just wondering if anybody else has been seeing any problems? And the increased battery life they talked about, i haven't personally seen it yet. Also my loading circle has popped up way more than usual in this last hour than i have ever seen.

Last edited:

pixelatedcoffee

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
UK
A completely unscientific response I'm afraid but I've found the *total* opposite. Mine seems a lot more response. It's an early-2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, still saddled with HDD...

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Maybe I'm just being a little too observant, but i just feel like it takes a longer to open word or powerpoint and even when navigating files, i feel like i see lag. My macbook pro is a 2011 model. Im just wondering if anybody else has been seeing any problems? And the increased battery life they talked about, i haven't personally seen it yet.

My experience has been the exact opposite. It is as if I got a new laptop with this update. Everything is smoother, battery life has literally doubled, the fan rarely kicks in and the case remains cool most of the time. I couldnt be happier. I did a clean install coming from ML. If you havent done a clean install perhaps you should try that?

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe I'm just being a little too observant, but i just feel like it takes a longer to open word or powerpoint and even when navigating files, i feel like i see lag. My macbook pro is a 2011 model. Im just wondering if anybody else has been seeing any problems? And the increased battery life they talked about, i haven't personally seen it yet.

I have noticed somethings as well. Nothing really seems slower, maybe just a little bit less snappy, if that makes sense. Also, my mouse pointer will randomly change to the spinning color wheels once in a while while just navigating web pages. Not sure why, the computer isn't really slowing down when it happens, its just a little thing that I noticed. I did also notice a bit of a battery jump. Before it would last about 3.5-4 hours, now this morning it was closer to 4.5 or so. My battery also has nearly 1300 cycles on it, so it might've had a greater effect if my battery was in better shape (not that it's in bad shape since it holds a 4+ hour charge with 1300 cycles lol)

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I have noticed somethings as well. Nothing really seems slower, maybe just a little bit less snappy, if that makes sense. Also, my mouse pointer will randomly change to the spinning color wheels once in a while while just navigating web pages. Not sure why, the computer isn't really slowing down when it happens, its just a little thing that I noticed. I did also notice a bit of a battery jump. Before it would last about 3.5-4 hours, now this morning it was closer to 4.5 or so. My battery also has nearly 1300 cycles on it, so it might've had a greater effect if my battery was in better shape (not that it's in bad shape since it holds a 4+ hour charge with 1300 cycles lol)

yea my spinning circle has popped up randomly as well. Also when i do the quick gesture on safari to open up all tabs so i can scroll to another one, it also opens up not as snappy as usual. Ill give it a couple of days, but i think i may be returning back to mountain lion, is that possible if i download it straight from the store?

----------

My experience has been the exact opposite. It is as if I got a new laptop with this update. Everything is smoother, battery life has literally doubled, the fan rarely kicks in and the case remains cool most of the time. I couldnt be happier. I did a clean install coming from ML. If you havent done a clean install perhaps you should try that?

how do i go about doing a clean install?

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
yea my spinning circle has popped up randomly as well. Also when i do the quick gesture on safari to open up all tabs so i can scroll to another one, it also opens up not as snappy as usual. Ill give it a couple of days, but i think i may be returning back to mountain lion, is that possible if i download it straight from the store?

----------

how do i go about doing a clean install?

To go backwards, you'll have to do a clean install. Basically boot up computer in recovery mode, wipe your hard drive with disc utility then install either mavericks or mountain lion from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.