I feel like Mavericks has slowed down my macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gc15, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

gc15 macrumors regular

Maybe I'm just being a little too observant, but i just feel like it takes a longer to open word or powerpoint and even when navigating files, i feel like i see lag. My macbook pro is a 2011 model. Im just wondering if anybody else has been seeing any problems? And the increased battery life they talked about, i haven't personally seen it yet. Also my loading circle has popped up way more than usual in this last hour than i have ever seen.

2. pixelatedcoffee macrumors newbie

A completely unscientific response I'm afraid but I've found the *total* opposite. Mine seems a lot more response. It's an early-2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, still saddled with HDD...

3. prism macrumors 6502a

My experience has been the exact opposite. It is as if I got a new laptop with this update. Everything is smoother, battery life has literally doubled, the fan rarely kicks in and the case remains cool most of the time. I couldnt be happier. I did a clean install coming from ML. If you havent done a clean install perhaps you should try that?

4. sholzer macrumors regular

I have noticed somethings as well. Nothing really seems slower, maybe just a little bit less snappy, if that makes sense. Also, my mouse pointer will randomly change to the spinning color wheels once in a while while just navigating web pages. Not sure why, the computer isn't really slowing down when it happens, its just a little thing that I noticed. I did also notice a bit of a battery jump. Before it would last about 3.5-4 hours, now this morning it was closer to 4.5 or so. My battery also has nearly 1300 cycles on it, so it might've had a greater effect if my battery was in better shape (not that it's in bad shape since it holds a 4+ hour charge with 1300 cycles lol)

5. thormarketing macrumors member

How much RAM do you have?

Everything feels faster to me, but I've upgraded to 8GB.

6. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

yea my spinning circle has popped up randomly as well. Also when i do the quick gesture on safari to open up all tabs so i can scroll to another one, it also opens up not as snappy as usual. Ill give it a couple of days, but i think i may be returning back to mountain lion, is that possible if i download it straight from the store?

----------

how do i go about doing a clean install?

7. sholzer macrumors regular

To go backwards, you'll have to do a clean install. Basically boot up computer in recovery mode, wipe your hard drive with disc utility then install either mavericks or mountain lion from there.