Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This here is a beauty. I'm not usually into these Android phones/gadgets but damn this sure is beautiful.

This looks like a Timex I'd you could get at Target or JCPenney. I'm glad Apple didn't try and make something that looked like a traditional watch but would really come across as a cheap knockoff. Based on the initial hands on reports that I've read I get the impression the Moto Almost 360 looks better but the :apple:Watch feels more premium. It wasn't just designing an aluminum tire and throwing a band on it.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
This looks like a Timex I'd you could get at Target or JCPenney. I'm glad Apple didn't try and make something that looked like a traditional watch but would really come across as a cheap knockoff. Based on the initial hands on reports that I've read I get the impression the Moto Almost 360 looks better but the :apple:Watch feels more premium. It wasn't just designing an aluminum tire and throwing a band on it.

The problem is that bar at the bottom - and that picture posted by one of the members really shows that build quality matters. It looks pretty terrible.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
While the render looks great, it's actually pretty terrible in real life (i.e., on the wrist).

I have to admit that when I saw the first renders for the 360 I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous but the actual watch (particularly in the silver colour) is possibly the ugliest smart watch I've ever seen. Just shows you can't rely on mockups or renders!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Fans never get what they expect :) Which can be good or otherwise.

First, with the iPhone:

iphone_wanted_got.png

Then seven years later, with the Watch:

apple_watch_hoped_got.png

Apple likes to stick with what has worked for them in the past. Rounded rectangles with a shiny bezel, for instance.

Although, hmmm. The Watch is an anomaly for Apple, in that it has more than one main button or control. I don't think Jobs would've approved (tm).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I repeat: main button or control.

This thing combines navigation via crown, crown press, spare button press (and double presses!) and touch.

I get what you're saying. On the other hand, the crown can be considered more "main" than the spare button. I use the sleep/wake button 50x a day to sleep my iPhone as I'm in the habit of sleeping the screen before pocketing it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Fans never get what they expect :) Which can be good or otherwise.

First, with the iPhone:

View attachment 491575

Then seven years later, with the Watch:

View attachment 491574

Apple likes to stick with what has worked for them in the past. Rounded rectangles with a shiny bezel, for instance.

Although, hmmm. The Watch is an anomaly for Apple, in that it has more than one main button or control. I don't think Jobs would've approved (tm).
Of course none of the watch mockups we saw were realistic. It's easy to create a cool/sexy/futuristic render when all you have to care about is how something looks and you don't have to give any consideration to engineering or mass production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.