Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Disclaimer: This is a vent, don't read if you don't want to.

I bought the first Intel MBPs and up till now I am on my third battery, on my second Logic Board and my second DVD drive.
The board and the drive were the reasons it was in repair and I just got it back after 5! weeks of waiting from the authorized Apple service center.
Looked at it and found scratches on the upper and lower case. They will replace it but I will have to bring it in again. Took it back home and had it crash/restart about 12 times in one hour. Seems like they can replace the logic board again, which is probably going to take another 3 weeks, which makes it 2 months without a computer.
I am getting so fed up with this, I really feel like just throwing it out of the window. The problem is that Apple here has no online store, etc. just authorized service centers and I bought it in Germany. At this point I don't even know what to do, I feel like demanding a replacement, so I guess I am gonna call Apple in Germany on Monday and see what they say.
I am not too optimistic about it but who knows. I just think so many failures and such a long time without a computer is unreasonable.
I wish I were in the US, it would be much easier.

Anyway, in case you read this, any input on how to proceed is appreciated, I just needed to write this down.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Be calm when you speak to the people on the phone and try and get elevated to a manager. When the manager comes on calmly explain and details all of the problems. The manager will most likely offer a replacement/refund.

I got a refund for my iMac G5.

Just stay calm and they will treat you well. Get angry and they may even use it as an excuse to hang up on you.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would ask for a replacement. I wouldn't e-mail Jobs, though. :p

Disclaimer: This is a vent, don't read if you don't want to.

I understand. I'm watching "Young Frankenstein", and I'm just about at the part where Gene Wilder declares "alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!". not sure what that has to do with anything... but i'm pretty drunk.

I understand your rant, and i wish I could help. I would definitely call apple and at least get your complaint documented. The more documented evidence you have, the better your case.

It's hard to be non-emotionally attached, but you must be, at least in the beginning. When you see they are starting to appease you, emotional response is warranted, and you have the logical arguments to back you up.

The most important thing is to make your case in a logical manner in the beginning. Previous posters are correct in trying to get a manager. You need to take it as high (in a logical manner) as possible. It's this logic which will back you up when you make your "personal" arguments.

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Wow that blows

I'm sorry that blows, I never though about how someone would deal with those type of problems outside the US. I visit Mexico often, what part are you from?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Thanks for all the kind words. :) I'll definitely call Apple in Germany on Monday and see what they say. Although I don't currently live there it's at least the place I bought this machine.
If a machine has something go wrong in its lifetime and you send it in for 2-3 weeks and it's fine, I could live with that. But not with that many faults and that much time without a computer.

I'm sorry that blows, I never though about how someone would deal with those type of problems outside the US. I visit Mexico often, what part are you from?

I'm living in Mexico City and yes, it kind of sucks to be in a place where Apple has no official store or online store. As I said they do have authorized service centers but I have a feeling they're just gonna tell me that I have to deal with them and are not responsible. Either way, dealing with that stuff outside of Apple countries proves to be worse than I thought.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
I feel your pain too and here's why .

MBP 15" 5 Months old now..

Replacement Batteries x 2
Logic Board x 1
DVD Drive x 1

and the latest is the system seems to be stuck in headphones mode.

Over here i've decided to go through the small claims court, and sue for £1500 for the cost of a full replacement as the goods obviously aren't fit for purpose.

On a side note the girlfriends MB has been back for the headphone issue and we've been through 2 iPods.. Apples quality seems shot to bits with their increased popularity IMHO .

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I feel your pain too and here's why .

MBP 15" 5 Months old now..

Replacement Batteries x 2
Logic Board x 1
DVD Drive x 1

You seem to have the exact same problems. Pretty weird.

I am really thinking about buying a desktop just to have a machine to fall back on.

I can make it crash whenever I want I just need to start Warcraft for 1 minute or do some stuff in iTunes, whatever it is how they didn't see it in repairs really baffles me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I bought my MacBook Pro from a department store in the UK called John Lewis. Get a 2 year gaurentee for free, instead of just one year.

It's not just the US that gets it easy ;)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Update:

I called Apple in Germany today and they told me that the US is responsible for Mexico (where the repair was). So I called Apple US and they told me that they'd love to exchange my machine but I am not in the US so I'd have to call Mexico. Called Mexico, no one there, under no number, no one picking up. Called Germany again, explaining and they told me that they cannot see the repair in their systems.
So now I called the service provider so he can send me the repair report so I can send this to Apple in Germany so they can replace the machine.
2 hours productively spent :rolleyes:

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Update:

I called Apple in Germany today and they told me that the US is responsible for Mexico (where the repair was). So I called Apple US and they told me that they'd love to exchange my machine but I am not in the US so I'd have to call Mexico. Called Mexico, no one there, under no number, no one picking up. Called Germany again, explaining and they told me that they cannot see the repair in their systems.
So now I called the service provider so he can send me the repair report so I can send this to Apple in Germany so they can replace the machine.

thats what you get for buying it in germany...i would have gotten it from the u.s. store

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Update:

Good to see you making progress, shame it involved you going around the houses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.