i feel my Macbook Pro is LESSER quality. help please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by optimus prime, Aug 1, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

so i just compared my macbook pro to my friends. i feel my keyboard is so cheap compared to his even though we have the same computer. my keys arent perfectly even like his, they're more spaced apart and they feel cheap. they're rougher and not as matched up as his are. my keys feel rough and his feel smooth.

has anyone noticed that?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The grass is always greener on the other side. Sorry to hear it, but I do think that this is the case. If you want to get crazy you can trace back to see where you and your friends MBP's were manufactured. Sorry that I do not remember the site that you can do this at, but it traces the serial numbers.

3. jamesybsu macrumors regular

if your worried about it, take it in to an apple store and let them look at it. It shouldn't be misaligned, etc.

4. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

yeah like some of the keys are LOWER and are a little diagonal and stuff.

5. jf0517 macrumors newbie

jf0517

i have the same problem on my mbp, right when i got it looked like the d key and the few around it were sloped down compared to the rest of the keys. On top of this the whole keyboard is spaced really off, some keys have huge gaps between them, and others are very close and tight together. I guess i will take it to the apple store once my student rebate stuff is taken care of.

About the manufacture site, mine was shipped direct distribution from shanhai, china.

6. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

All things considered, it could have been a P-P-P-PowerBook!.

I would certainly take it in to the apple store, or at least call applecare.

7. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

^^ EXACTLY! mine feels all spaced out and ****. i might take it in today but they'll probably be like stop being such a baby blah blah. lol but man i payed $2200 for mine so i want mine the way i want it.

8. kolax macrumors G3

I did notice that my keys on my new MBP were a bit rougher than those of my old one.

Now I've been using this new MBP for a while, the keys aren't rough anymore. I've been typing so much that they are being smoothened out.

Last time I checked, Apple didn't have an offer like Burger King's (made exactly how you like it).

9. sealab2021 macrumors member

yeah, my SR MBP, that I got yesterday, has the escape key, like popping up on the corner. I haven't really taken the time to look at it, (my old laptop, you could carefully pop those keys off), so that might be a possibility. But I remember someone else posted about having their escape key messed up. I guess all I'm concerned about is that it rubs the screen.

10. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

11. Magritte macrumors member

Last time I checked, Whoppers didn't cost upwards of $2K. ;)

12. klex macrumors regular

I've gone through several MBP SR replacements, and each an everyone of them had issues with the keys. Some were more loose and made louder noise when typing than others. The misaligned escape key was present on all of them but one. Apple says it's within specs, and after going through 5(!) MBP, I really cannot be bothered to start kicking and screaming because of misaligned keys, and my keys are near perfect. You can only tell that the escape key is misaligned if you stare at if for a while.

If you haven't gone through a replacement yet, take it back to the store and tell them to give you a new one. But don't be surprised if the new one looks the same or is worse. I speak from experience. When my fourth replacement had yet another hard ware issue, this time the screen, I was thrilled when the apple store offered to replace the screen only so I could keep my near perfect and very silent keyboard.

Apple needs to hire a Quality Control manager.

13. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

^^ if i do that, will they give me a whole new cpu?

14. tw0k1ngs macrumors newbie

What even happened to MyNameIsJeff?

15. Flobber88 macrumors regular

Best thing I've read all day.

16. PDE macrumors 68020

I hate to say this, but after 15 MBPs over the past year (14 defect ones), I have to tell you that if that is the only problem you have you are very fortunate. Not that it's acceptable, but I wouldn't risk exchanging it if I were you. Possibly a repair would be worth it, but even that is a risky business since things can, and do, get messed up during the repair process. You might end up kicking yourself and regretting that you even tried!

Also, as somebody said, all MBPs have some sort of misalignment with the keys. On some it's just the esc key, while on others it is many keys. Unless it's functionally annoying, I would not pursue it.

17. ckoerner macrumors newbie

ckoerner

18. Wipeout macrumors member

Interesting thread. My replacement MBP arrived last evening (replaced out a machine with the yellowish lower-third). New machine has same yellowing, awful peripheral viewing, a bent lid. It also seems to take longer to open programs (more spinwheel). But here's the best part: The f*****g keyboard sags. As I press a key, particularly on the left side of the keyboard, each of the surrounding keys can be seen to indent sympathetically. The keyboard on the last machine was really solid, this one blows.

Back to Apple it goes, where it stops nobody knows.

This is not cool, at all.

19. Megatron macrumors regular

If you have a few keys that are slightly mis-aligned just take it to the apple store (if there is one close to you) and have an apple genius pop off the keys and realign them.

My enter key was a little off at first but within 5 minutes the genius had it realigned just fine. No biggie. :)

20. Magritte macrumors member

OMG, I needed that laugh. I LOVE creative responses to scammers.

21. kevinwiz macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    so which NT'er are you?

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm always amazed to read these kind of posts in here. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems in the U.S. if you have just a cosmetic flaw with your Mac Apple will exchange it over. Here in Australia the only way you could have your Mac replaced is if it has a major flaw that would effect it's performance. So if you buy a Mac and the keys are as the OP described then that's tough you learn to live with it.

23. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

hahahahaha.

sole lovely, mjbetch, a filipino

24. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Whoops are made from a $0.20 meat patty and $0.05 slices of bread and sold to you for like $3.

Wake me up when the materials that go into a MacBook Pro yields are as cheap relative to its selling price.

25. Magritte macrumors member

...what?