I feel sick!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleVirgin, Oct 17, 2008.

1. AppleVirgin macrumors newbie

I have just ordered my very first :apple: product (save for an iPod) online, a new MacBook Pro, and feeling a bit sick at the amount of money that I have just parted with!

Very much looking forward to receiving it in a week or so.

Will no doubt be on here asking all sorts of questions, that will seem inane to most of you professionals but v. taxing to me!

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

AV

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats on your purchase!

I understand the feelings of parting with all that money. I bought my first Mac, a PowerBook G4, when it was released after much anticipation. It was a lot of money, but well worth the ease of use and performance.

And the value was great, since I'm considering an upgrade just now... 5 years later.

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

You will definitely feel like it was money well spent in the long run...most everyone I know fell in love with their machine and have had them for several years..

4. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Don't worry...you will feal really sick when you see all the dead pixels on your new MBP. ;)

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

You should pass the time by reading I Feel Sick! comics by Jhonen Vasquez :p
    That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of the thread

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of Mac; you'll wince now, but in the long run you'll love your MBP. I switched in April and will never go back. So, enjoy it when it arrives and may both you and your wonderful new Mac live long and prosper together.
    Cheers and good luck

7. Red-red macrumors 6502

I didn't when I first bought it, but today I went to look at my balance and it's nice and over-drawn.

Worth it in the long run I'm sure. It's sounds like a lame excuse but I always find it hard to work on my PC, It's such a mess so I end up trying to clean it up and tweak it constantly. I always do so much more work ( At least 50% ) on the mac's at college/uni, and I haven't the faintest idea why.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

congrats! it is a big step to spend that kind of cash, but don't let it ruin your experience. it's done, so now you just enjoy.:D

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i think most first time mac buyers feel like that...i know i did, i could not believe I spend that much money in a computer with way way lower specs than the regular windows laptops out there.... after a week of using my MB i was very glad i did....and now after three years, i am still using the same MB (upgraded RAM and HD) and i think im still good for another 2 years to come...1 more for sure...

10. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

What type of encouragement to join the mac community is that??

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

lmao

To the OP,
    I'm in the exact situation as you. I spend 2300 € = $3 091 in it. But I think I don't have to feel bad cos:

- I will sell my current VAIO to my bro and that'll make him happy
    - I'm sure the new MBP will stay a very good notebook for years
    - spending money helps to fight the current financial crisis
    - If my Bank collapse now, I will loose less money ;)

cheers,
    Tex

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I didn't.
    But then again that was, oh about 2 decades ago?
    Before the Microsoft hegemony…
    ;)

Well that is one way of justifying it.
    :D:D

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I hope you enjoy your new MBP, however if parting with the money made you sick are you sure you really wanted to do it.

Personally I like to feel excited after I drop some major amount of money, but that's just me.

Hope you love the computer.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

you'll love it and adore it until Nehalem comes out. That's the mac life.

15. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yeah, don't feel sick!

And don't fall for all this "gotta have [processor] or [chipset] because it's the newest and greatest!" crap.

Every time something new is released, every person here gets all hyped up because of what it's supposed to be. However, we/they all get bummed out because we got ourselves thinking that the specs WE would put in them are actually WAY over what's being put in them.

Your computer will be GREAT just as it will be in 2 years.

Be happy! :)

16. polar-blair macrumors regular

On paper yes it may seem like the upgrade to Nehalem is a huge improvement, but I doubt it in the real world the difference will be minimal. This always happens and its not just apple, all companies do it, they need to keep up with the market. And if you wait for the next best thing, Once that is released there will be rumors of something even better coming out soon and the cycle continues.

To the OP.. Enjoy your new Mac Ive just ordered one too and cant wait for it to arrive. Your MBP will kick ass even if a new one comes out.

17. Aelyrin macrumors member

I felt the same way when I purchased my Macbook Pro (2006). Since that day however I have felt a higher level of purchase satisfaction with this computer than any other product, from my truck to my toothbrush, I own.

I used to be a chronic computer desktop upgrader, never going for more than 4-5 months without getting the new latest and greatest whatever.

The purchase of the mac was a landmark for me personally, suddenly something I cannot easily upgrade? O M G !

The result: 2 years of perfect satisfaction. I like it so much that even the new line that was just released isn't that tempting, while I WANT to upgrade, I don't HAVE to upgrade. I know that many "normal" people keep computers for 3-4 years or more before upgrading, but I have never understood that, I spend far too much of my life on these things to allow myself to become that outdated.

Then I changed (read: grew up and became a Mac user at the same time). These two things are mutually exclusive, but the purchase itself was timed perfectly and I am still more than pleased with my laptop (although I wish now that I had a 15.4" of the exact same specs because I travel more now and the 17" is a bit too large for in-flight usage).

If you are worried now, just wait till it shows up. I am sort of jealous that this new release is getting the new laptops to people in a matter of days, when I bought mine it was a 3-4 week wait for them to show up, 3-4 weeks of the deepest pits of hell.

I hope you love it!

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

19. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox