I feel silly that I did not know this....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FrankBlack, Jun 9, 2007.

1. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Boy, you learn something new every day, really.

One of my few gripes about the Mac OS, is the lack of a built-in printer test page. Turns out, there is one. It's accessed through the CUPS system.

Open your favorite browser, and use this URL: http://localhost:631/printers

Now, you have list of printers. If you are at home, and your printer is connected locally through the USB port, you will probably show the printer, and you fax/modem. On a network, you'll show several printers.

Click on "print test page", and you'll get the CUPS printer test page. Not too shabby. On some of the networked printers on the job, I get an error message though, involving a proxy error. Not sure why, more investigation is needed. Anyone?

Let me guess: I'm the only one who didn't know about this, right? :eek:

What other services are available here?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Nope, you're not alone. I've never seen this, but it's quite cool! Thanks for the tip.

(Who knows, maybe we're the only TWO people in the world that didn't know about this...)

3. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

neat. I don't know how common this one is, as I just got a mac, but I also learned today that ctrl-opt-cmd-8 inverts the screen display. V. nice for reading text white-on-black.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Along with the cool ctrl+scroll :) Have fun...

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Don't feel silly. I didn't know this. I don't know much beyond the basics and some other fun but functional shortcuts.

However, i can't get that link to work for me. Any suggestions?

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

7. FrankBlack thread starter macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Oh good, I really thought this was one of those things that only didn't know. :D

iSaint, at first, I could not get the cups page to work in Ominweb. the error message was something like "can't connect to the server". I quit omniweb, turned my printer off, (local, connected to USB) turned it back on, and re-launched Omniweb. Now, I could open the cups printer page with all three of my browsers. A mystery?

What sort of error message do you get?

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

huh nifty.... don't ask why, but for some reason I've always done this with :apple: - option - +/-

this is much easier :p

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I always did it that way too but that was because back then i had nothing to scroll with.