I feel so stupid now...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dljor, Nov 9, 2015.

1. dljor macrumors regular

I feel so stupid now. I ordered the mid-tier iMac 27" 5k and upgraded to get the 512 GB SSD. Now, I just found out, if I ordered the highest level and do the same upgrade, I will be spending only $20 more for a better video card and faster cpu...

What the heck!?

Is there a way to reject the delivery and re-order?

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • Item Price:$2,309.00
    • Quantity (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display)
    • Line Price:$2,309.00

Part number: Z0SD
    • Order today, delivers: Nov 11 - Nov 13 - Fastest | Nov 12 - Nov 14 - Free
      Available for pickup: Ships to Apple Store, Kahala
    Hardware
    • 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
    • Magic Trackpad 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • Item Price:$2,329.00
    • Quantity (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display)
    • Line Price:$2,329.00

Part number: Z0SC
    • Order today, delivers: Nov 11 - Nov 13 - Fastest | Nov 12 - Nov 14 - Free
      Available for pickup: Ships to Apple Store, Kahala
    Hardware
    • 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
    • Magic Trackpad 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

If it has already shipped - call Apple and tell them you made a mistake and do not want that computer - they will tell you what to do.

• How do I cancel or edit my order?
      To cancel, click Cancel Item. If you’re canceling an item shipping to an address, the item will not be billed. If you’re canceling a pickup item, you may have already been billed. Once you submit your cancel request, we initiate your refund immediately. If your order is eligible, you can edit your gift message, engraving or ship-to address. For more details, visit the Viewing & Changing Orders Help page.

• How can I return an item?
      If you’d like to return an item, click Return Items to ship the item back to us, or take your item to any U.S. Apple Store. Once we receive your returned item, we’ll initiate your refund immediately. For more details, refer to the Returns & Refunds Help page.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can either cancel that order if it hasn't shipped and order what you want. Or you can wait for it to arrive and return it for another one.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, as long as it had not shipped. If it has, then just return it for the configuration you want. Of course that option has more hassle, but at least in the end you'll get what you wanted.

5. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I trusted Apple too much. The way it was priced makes no sense.

6. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Don't feel stupid, just call Apple and cancel the order. Then place a new order. I did that because I purchased (for my Dad) a 27" just before they all went to 5K. I just cancelled it and made a new order. Now he has the Retina screen, a better video card and a larger hard drive for only about $92 more dollars. Don't hesitate, do it.

7. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

you don't even have to wait for it to arrive if you plan on returning it. but a bit easier just to cancel and reorder.

8. fathergll macrumors 6502a

How are you finding this out now and not before you ordered?

9. Tanax macrumors 6502a

$20? Is this really in the US Apple Store?
    When I check both US Apple Store and the Swedish Apple Store, the difference between the two configurations you mention is $100 (or the equivalent in Swedish Crowns).

10. mauka, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

mauka macrumors member

mauka

Aloha, did you have it shipped to the Kahala store for pickup, if you did you should be able to cancel without problem since you will never touch the box. Even if shipped to your home, if you don't open the box returning it will be easy.

I ran the two configurations (using special store pricing), and sure enough the difference is $20. Using retail store pricing the difference is $100. Apple pricing is strange, and I really wish Apple would wake up and start focusing on value to the customer, instead of just maximizing profit. They have the brand name and financial position that would allow long term thinking. As a shareholder I would welcome that approach.

11. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I think, and you should check with Apple, you just refuse the shipment. Don't sign for it, don't touch it and then it goes back to them.

12. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Are you sure about this? I just checked Apple website and the second configuration is $2,549. Even the first one is $2,449...

13. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it through the education store.

14. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

It'll be much easier if I bought this with my own card. It was purchased through my school and I will have to ask our IT guy to make the changes ...

Next time, I would not trust Apple. They only want to make more money and don't care if someone got caught up by things like this.

15. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Still shows as a $70 difference for me in the educational store. But yes, the price increase for the higher end model is much more overcome:able.

16. twilexia macrumors 6502

Apple has a fantastic return policy you really need not worry. Once you get it you can even open it, run some tests on it, and play around with it before packing it back up and returning it. The iMac box is extremely portable (despite its weight and size) and returning it is a cinch. the only thing you lost is some time but since this is the machine you will be using for the next few years i think It's fine to spend a few extra hours getting it right :)

17. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I just feel bad since I have to bug our IT guy again.

Apple should just do what Dell does. Don't make these pre-configured tiers if the pricing doesn't make any sense at all. Have a single BTO option and a few pre-built options.

18. makrom macrumors regular

He/She just mentioned it in the very sentence you quoted, he/she trusted Apple too much.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What a load of **** you are talking, apples prices are set they don't change and they are readily available with every configuration online in a fraction of a second they couldn't be any more transparent price wise. If you can't take the time to work out what you want and how much it costs the only person to blame is yourself.

20. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

ok. I won't argue it's my own mistake.

but why one the earth would someone try to save $20 by going with a slower processor and a inferior video card? this is why i think the pricing doesn't make any sense and the customer should be reminded about this while ordering.

i would go one step further and call this a pitfall...

21. mauka macrumors member

mauka

A BTO comparison tool would be very helpful for buyers.

22. G.McGilli macrumors regular

[QUOTE="dljor, post: 22224471, member: 858629"i would go one step further and call this a pitfall...[/QUOTE]

One time I was at a retail store at the checkout - and this customer came back into the store and started yelling at the cashiers there. He was upset because he had bought a product for a certain price. I guess though, if he had taken a few seconds to look at the other variations of the product on the shelf he would have seen there was a special promotion happening and he could have gotten an improved product, for almost the exact same price.

He was really upset because the cashiers, or anyone that works there - apparently did not tell him at any time during his previous store visit that he 'should' get the better product, instead of the one that he spent the time looking for and picking out himself.

The employees argument was - the pricing is right there - if you look. His argument was he shouldn't have to look at all the prices and should just get the best deal possible automatically.

He probably wasted a good 15 minutes of his, and many other peoples time instead of the extra half minute he could have spent initially checking the prices.

Good times :) Just be thankful that as many of us have posted in this thread, Apple makes it extremely easy to cancel or return a product - that should minimize any trouble for your IT crew.

23. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Next time, double check to see if what you're ordering is correct and stop blaming everything on Apple.

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Over on Reddit, people are saying neither of those 2GB cards are adequate for playing games at 5K. https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3oqqfq/whats_the_difference_between_these_graphics_cards/

25. makrom macrumors regular

True, and neither is the M395X.
    Unless we're talking about older, less demanding games, but they generally work with 2 GB as well.

If you really want a 5k gaming machine, get a dual or even quad SLI setup with 980 TIs, anything else will just require you to play with low details and/or low FPS.