I feel "speculation-jipped"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

My best bet to purchase a MB is in June, and I want to save money by doing the iPod promo for college.

With MacWorld come and gone, I have a funny feeling I will be purchasing this machine at the worst time...

1. Snow Leopard hasn't been released yet, and when it does, it will definitely come out past the summer, preinstalled on the MBs. Just like Leopard did in Oct. of 2007.

2. I will most likely be getting a MB with the last Core 2 Duo Chipsets before Nehalem releases in Q4 '09 or Q1 '10. Is this bad?

3. With the 17" MBP without a removable battery (also RAM and HD...), will this mean the next refresh will do the same to all notebooks? I would want to replace my own battery, RAM, and HD, without having to open the entire bottom.

I can't honestly wait while I am IN college to purchase. Worst yet, people are saying Snow Leopard will work best with Nehalem. Is this really true?

What do you think? Any college students going in for Autumn of '09 waiting to buy? Do you feel the same I do?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sort of. Nehalem rocks.

Yes. Also, we know nothing about how either of them run, but Snow Leopard is being written to take advantage of Nehalem.

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Snow Leopard is intended to be released this spring. Apple hasn't said anything different so far.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

But this in no way means Snow Leopard wont run properly on current gen MacBooks.

5. monke macrumors 65816

monke

It's technology, yes it will work faster in the future, but can/do you really need to wait? Does the product they have now address your needs?

With Nehalem it's obviously not going to get worse or slower...

On a side not, when is Nehalem supposed to be released? Googling it brings up that it was released last year, am I lost? :confused:

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, of course!

Nehalem Gainestown Xeon chips go into production this month. A Nehalem Mac Pro should follow 6-8 weeks after.

Nehalem mobile chips go into production Q3 or Q4, meaning the iMac and MacBook family should get them in Q4 or Q1 2010.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

FYI I wasnt trying to say you didnt know that, I was just stating that fact for other people who read this.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I know. I was just stating that to confirm that other people knew that you knew that I knew that. :cool:

Wait...

I'm sick of talking about Nehalem. Someone needs to break into Intel's manufacturing plant and turn the machines on.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I wouldnt worry about getting a pre nehalem processor in your macbook, the first few months of nehalems wont be stable anyway, and they only deliver a 15% performance increase overall when utilising all cores. They do however sacrifice this for heat, which i dont know how Apples going to deal with as the Macbooks and especially Macbook Pro's are already practially melting but i guess we'll see. The nehalems are also slightly bigger too than the cores i believe.

10. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Heat and Nehalem? Hmm, I had an impression on this some time ago.

But I'm still worried. Will the non-removal battery strategy come to the MBs?

11. Bupkus macrumors newbie

My theory is...

Buy a computer when needed and never wait for what is coming or what you think is coming.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you'd tell people to buy a Mac Mini now.

That's painfully silly.

13. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I won't worry so much, I just HOPE for at least one more update before June, or whenever refreshes will be out and included with the iPod promo.