iPad Pro I fell in love with the iPad Pro 9.7, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by infernoguy, Jul 11, 2016.

1. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

...since I already have a 12.9.

My dilemma... I liked the 12.9, I really did! The screen size, the immersion factor, all off it was pretty cool. When my GF got a 9.7 inch Pro, I was curious. It didn't matter.. I was loyal to the 12.9 until this weekend.

The sheer size of the 12.9 was getting to me. I just couldn't use it as a pure tablet anymore. I tried and tried but just couldn't do it anymore. So I went and got a 9.7 32GB as an associate tablet (for those times when I just wanted to hold it in my hands with ease). I shouldn't have done that because now I'm in love!

The size, the comfort and the silicone cover/case combo made it too easy to fall in love. This iPad is just amazing. So amazing that I returned the recently purchased Logi Create Case for the 9.7 inch Smart Keyboard this morning. This sealed the deal for me... I'm officially in with the 9.7, no doubt about it.

But what about the 12.9? Can anyone suggest any usage for her? Maybe I don't need 2 tablets in my life but there's got to be a way to use her for something...

Thanks for listening!

2. apb87 macrumors member

You could always use the DuetDisplay app and turn it into a portable external monitor if you use a main laptop

3. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

Ahhhh... Great idea!!!

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Can you swap with your girlfriend? Or doesnt she see size as everything? ;)

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

6. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

This past Saturday I upgraded my iPad Air 2 to the iPad Pro 9.7. A few months back I upgraded my iPad mini 2 to the iPad mini 4. Since the iPad mini came out I have had the dilemma of having two iPads of different sizes. I find them to be very useful and often times actually have both of them with me. Most of the time I use one or the other and both iPads have the same apps on them and their configurations are both the same. 128GB with LTE. When I bought the iPad Pro this past Saturday I did consider moving up the the 256GB, but thought to myself, I rarely have less than 32GB of available space on either iPad so why do I need to double the 9.7" size. So I stuck with the 128GB.

With both iPads there are times when I could be working on one, but the other might be streaming a Netflix program or playing a downloaded movie. Sometimes the mini is just easier to carry and others I just want the larger 9.7. I looked at the 12.9" when it came out and after about 30 minutes of playing with it at the Apple Store, decided it was just too big for me.

I enjoy using both of them. There may be a time where I will stop using one of them, but for now they both have their own merits.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Happy with what you had until something younger and a size smaller catches your eye... It's guys like you who make all men look bad! :rolleyes:

8. Newtons Apple, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Got both, use the 9.7 in the field and the 12.9 sits next to the lazyboy!:p

9. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

This is probably the route I'll take.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

They are both great devices.

11. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

Yes they are!

12. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

I got both as well...prob would have only got smaller one if released together. With that said I use both the 12.9 in living room when I don't need full laptop, and the 9.7 is my iPad that travels with me almost everywhere. With that said the 9.7 is a cellular model the 12.9 is wifi only.

Enjoy both, the 12.9 is awesome, but as a go everywhere device the 9.7 is the ideal size.

13. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

Yes! Makes sense to use it as a second device for home use and use the 9.7 as the travel companion.

14. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I bought the 12.9 specifically as a whiteboard for teaching and a math notebook. It's a bit unwieldy, and the 9.7 is tempting, but I think the smaller screen wouldn't be as good for writing on. I have an iPad mini for my portable device.

15. seggy, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

seggy macrumors member

I bought a small number of the 12"s for a number of reasons.

Reason 1. A potential alternative to my Windows tablets for productivity.
    Outcome 1: Hopeless.

Reason 2: Might make good 'all over the house' machines - I have a sorta smart house, so I have iPad Minis everywhere for general remote control and I figured replacing them with a smaller number of 12"s might give me something more all purpose I could walk around the house with, instead of just a glorified remote control and web browser.
    Outcome 2: The truth is that the present system works a lot better for home automation control and actually having the whole place strewn with glorified remote controls and web browsers is better - and for everything else the 12"s are too unwieldy to even roam around the house with.

Reason 3: With the Pencil being hyped (predictably of course) as better than any stylus to date, I was keen to draw / notetake on it.
    Outcome 3: The Pencil does some things well, but other things not so well. It's far from a runaway winner, but rather a joint player alongside with the Wacom ESD and the new Surface N-Trig stylus. Combined with the lack of real 'pro' productivity capabilities of the iPad Pro, it's unlikely to be used for anything but the odd bit of drawing.

Final Outcome: Got rid of the 12"s, got one 9.7 - maybe more on the way. Much happier to be using these as iPads which I can occasionally draw on, as opposed to something they aren't.

16. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

I solved my dilemma by giving the 12 to my mom... She LOVES it because of the size.