I figured out how to charge your iPod touch w/ a sleeping Mac.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChrisBrightwell, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

OK ... This has been driving me nuts, but I finally figured out a solution.

Basically, the problem is that when your Mac (or, at least, my PowerBook) is asleep, it refuses to charge the iPod with the USB sync cable. This is unlike any other iPod I've ever owned* and, due to the nature of life on a laptop, has been absolutely maddening. Until tonight.

There's an obvious solution that most folks have figured out.

Either:
    a. Don't sleep your Mac. (meh) ... or
    b. Use a AC wall charger for the iPod touch. (meh again)

Tonight, however, I had an impulse to dig out one of my three firewire iPod cables (to go with each of my three firewire iPod AC chargers) and kick the PowerBook into Sleep mode.

The result? The iPod touch continued to receive a charge while the PowerBook was asleep.

Lucky for me, I also have one of those goofy USB+firewire cables, which lets me do the data deal over the USB link while getting power over the firewire link. I just did the sleep test with that cable and it, too, will charge the iPod while the Mac sleeps.

Here's hoping that this bit of info helps someone other than me. :)

iPod Dock Connector to Firewire Cable: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9127G/B
    iPod Dock Connector to Firewire and USB Cable: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9688G/A

* iPod I've owned: 16GB touch, 3G 20GB, 4G 60GB, 5GB 60GB, 1G shuffle (512MB), 2G shuffle, 1g mini, 1g nano

2. dagored macrumors 65816

I have an original iPod. It came with a firewire cable and wall charger. I could use my Mac or plug it in the wall.

Could you please give me a link or show me a pict of how you are charging your Touch with firewire?

Is there a firewire to usb cable, or a cable with the firewire on one end and the Touch plug on the other?

3. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I brought my Touch over from the the US to the UK, the last time I did that was with the iPod Photo :)

Regarding firewire, you can charge the Touch using the iPod firewire cable from a Mac, just not sync to it unfortunately. It has to be USB to sync and charge at the same time, which is stupid really...

4. dagored macrumors 65816

I have not purchased an iPod in 5 years. My cable is firewire on both ends. Is there a different cable? Could you show me a link or where to search for one?

5. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Unfortunately, I don't think that will work. The 3rd- and 4th-generation iPods had a cable with a firewire connector on one end and a dock connector on the other.

The 1st and 2nd-gen iPod had just a straight firewire cable, IIRC, which will not work for this.

EDIT: This is the cable I'm talking about: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9127G/B

6. dagored macrumors 65816

7. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

No dock necessary ... just the cable.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Like I said, I'm new at this. The description says "Dock connector". You mean it will plug into the bottom of the Touch?

9. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

yep. same with any other dock enabled ipod.

10. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Just to clarify, can i charge my iPod touch with my 3Gen iPod firewire wall charger?

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, dont think you can transfer data but you can charge though any iPod firewire cable.

12. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I guess the OP wasn't clear enough, but yes. You can use the firewire charger to charge your iPod touch. Just make sure it's "asleep" instead of "off."