I figured out why some have the Proximity Sensor issue and others don't!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Whether the proximity sensor issue happens to me or not depends almost entirely based on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about!!

When I'm talking to the person I'm going out with, I tend to move my head more or something so it happens literally EVERY SINGLE CALL. When I'm talking to close friends, it also happens often especially if we're having an animated conversation. But when I'm talking to coworkers or my parents, it never ever happens!

This is why some people report the issue, and some don't because some people keep their heads perfectly still while on the phone while others move it more.

Regardless, the proximity sensor issues annoy the crap out of me.

I have to drive 3 hours to get to the nearest apple store, and I would lose my jailbreak. So I don't want to drive to exchange the phone unless I know that the problem is fixed in the new phone batches.

Can anyone confirm that the hardware is fixed? I've seen many reports of people exchanging the phone only to have the problems persist.

Also, didn't apple promise a software fix for the issue asap, like two months ago!! Where the hell is the software fix apple? Does one even exist? Or was the promise of a software fix just a lie/delay tactic? My bro's 3GS never had these issues, even on iOS 4 so I can't help but wonder if the problem actually exists in the hardware and if it will ever be fixed.

2. shandyman Suspended

resetting network settings seemed to do the trick for me.

supposedly it was fixed in beta 1 to 2 of iOS 4.1, but some people saying it isn't in the 3rd beta, its a wait and see job for when it's released next month.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I reset network settings followed by a hard reset and the issue seems to be much better.

However, I too want to know if the hardware or software is ultimately to blame. And if it's software, why isn't the 3GS acting up on iOS4 too?

4. tommylee84 macrumors newbie

I just got a i4 Monday week 34 and it's still there

5. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I got a week 33 iPhone 4 Yesterday, haven't had this or the reception issues at all.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Got my ip4 last week. While I definitely see the reception issues, I have absolutely no issues with the proximity sensor.

7. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

had my ip4 a few days and the sensor works
    perfectly.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

The software update can have different tolerances for different pieces of hardware. The code that turns the screen on or off based on what the physical sensor says can be tweaked so that it's a 4G sensor, it turns the screen back on at a higher level than how it's set for now.

OP, apples official stance is that it's a software tweak. Wait until their media event Wdnesday, at least, before swapping phones and losing your jailbreak. Also, why drive so many hours when Apple can swap via shipping for free (AppleCare phone support)?

9. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Wife just got a phone today and it has it bad! Worse than my first day phone.

10. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Are you sure that's not just the placebo effect.

No offense, but I don't see how a simple hard reset or network settings reset would fix anything for the following reasons...

1.) If the issue was that simple to fix, there wouldn't be a 20 page thread on this forum and the official apple forums complaining about the issue and how nothing they tried, including multiple resets and exchanging the iPhones helped.

2.) Apple already admitted it's an issue and they are releasing an update to fix it. If it was just about resetting settings, why wouldn't they have said that? And why would only happen on the iPhone 4.

3.) It doesn't make sense. How does resetting network settings accomplish anything thing. It doesn't alter the hardware or the software being used in any way.

11. shandyman Suspended

Well I could easily replicate the issue before I did it, after, no matter what, I cannot repeat it whatsoever. Not sure why it fixed it but it did.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i have no problems on my iP4, running beta 3 though...

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

i got my iphone last week i think came with 4.0.1

no death grip antenna issues

how do i test this The proximity sensor issue to see if i have it

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

My week 31 is running 4.0.1 and is perfectly fine. Proximity sensor and reception. Same for my girlfriend's week 33. Only difference is that hers came with 4.0.2 on it.

15. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Totally agree. It doesn’t seem as bad as before but I could be doing something different. In the end it's still acting up and annoying the hell outta me.

Reception though, I can make the bars drop BUT when I do the 'data speed test' to see if I really am loosing anything. My data stays the same. Tested it a number of times without an issue. The data goes up sometimes while I death grip it and sometimes it's lower. But it's always ~300kbps of the control test so I think everything's gravy there.

16. jer9542 macrumors member

mine is bad. i love the phone (even though my 3g was more reliable) i have a week 32 and i keep pressing facetime or mute with my cheek!

17. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I've got a week 29 that doesn't display this issue.

I had a 1.5 hour phone call yesterday.

18. kiantech macrumors regular

I had a week 32 and 31 iphone and both are annoying as hell, although my 32 one was worse

19. MagnusF macrumors regular

I have a week 34 iPhone 4 and it has no problems.

Proximity sensor works fine, no matter how much i cover the antenna i only loose 1 bar and no dropped calls.

20. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

My 4th or 5th iPhone 4 and everyone of them have had it. I just got this phone the other day and it is a week 32 phone and it definitely has it also.

21. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I notice that it happens more based on who I'm talking to!

When I'm talking to the person I'm dating, I tend to move my head more or something so it happens literally EVERY SINGLE CALL. When I'm talking to close friends, it also happens more often especially if we're having an animated conversation. But when I'm talking to coworkers or my parents, it never happens!

This is why some people report the issue, and some don't because some people keep their heads perfectly still while on the phone while others move it more.

I don't think the issue is fixed at all, just because some people don't have it.

22. applekiwipeach macrumors member

I used to complain on that "proximity sensor, I've had enough...." thread everyday... till reset network sorted it out for me. =)

I guess just as computers, the i4 needs to be shut down and restarted once in a while to clear out the RAM, temp files, etc to run smoothly. :)

23. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Whereas I have a week 1 iPhone and I don't have this issue either...